Skip to main content

Unusual repowers

More
3 years 9 months ago #212664 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Unusual repowers
Dave, as far as I know your friend is right.. All straight 8 Buicks I have ever seen were OHV engines.
The local bus company that I worked for at age 18 had a couple in local commuter service. I was told if you worked it too hard that you could burn #7&8 pistons due to lack of cooling that far back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212665 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Unusual repowers
Depending on model, apparently the straight eights were OHV or L head.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Straight-8_engine

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_straight-six_motor#Grey

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212671 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Unusual repowers
Steve

There was a dollar - in fact all foreign currency - shortage at the end of the war but only because we had spent so much on stuff to fight it. The yanks certainly did not screw the Australians on Lend Lease and, unlike UK, Australia and USA were almost square at the end of the war with the facilities, equipment, food and supplies we provided their troops here. Australia paid cash for the vast majority of their stuff, with depleted reserves still remaining while UK ran out of money very early and clocked up a huge Lend Lease bill that took 50 years to pay back.

With our preferential British Empire agreements we could get stuff in "exchange" from Britain, our biggest trading partner, much cheaper than forking out our low foreign reserves for stuff from elsewhere which could not be balanced by equal exports. Hence huge import duties on non-Empire products and the pommy stuff much cheaper.

It was not American troops who saved Britain it was Churchill's greatest victory of WW2, convincing Roosevelt to coerce a very reluctant US Government to create the Lend Lease system.

If anyone is interested I can put up on its own thread the five page treaty which had Australia and USA square on Lend Lease 9 months after the war finished. A masterpiece of sensible diplomacy completed in a few weeks of negotiation with good will. Today it would take at least 5 years of committees traveling across the world and 5,000 pages in the document.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Morris

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago #212675 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Unusual repowers
Think n
it waz not unusual for truck repowers
dependin on wot twaz available and also fit in the truck
We did a 'B' model mack fitd a GM V6-71
tried a C@ dozer motor into a White WC model but din fit so return the new motor to C@
also Kenworth th@ had a Detrit V6-71 @ 238HP and shoe hornd ina V8-71 now 318HP
Also Martins Overland Freight had a White WC model with a motor out of a Tank ... straight 6-71 GM @ about 245HP .. big power way back wen
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212676 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Unusual repowers
I seem to remember a thread(or Pictures) on this Forum Years & years ago of an S2 KW with a V8 Perkins in It..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 9 months ago #212681 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Unusual repowers

hayseed wrote: I seem to remember a thread(or Pictures) on this Forum Years & years ago of an S2 KW with a V8 Perkins in It..

There was an S2 for sale not long ago with a 3208 Cat

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
3 years 9 months ago #212689 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Unusual repowers

jimbo51 wrote:

mammoth wrote: Good demonstration of how hard it is to kill a myth;- keep repeating an error and it becomes true.

Not trying to start an argument Steven, was just quoting from what I thought was definitive research. I'm happy to defer to someone who has the interest and knowledge in Leyland products.

But are we agreed that the generic designation of the engine as AU450 and their capacity of 7.4 litres is correct?

Just trying to set the record straight for future researchers. Yes, both engines were of nominal 7.4 litre. Pre war Leyland were using the metric size description but with the new post war range they fitted in with American usage. So the new engine range was 600, 680 and the Napier designed 300 for the Comet. The tank engine ceased production mid war and the subsequent 7.4 (production started 1944) became known as the 450 to fit in with the rest of the range. It stayed in production well into the 50's but only as an industrial engine and hence there was no interest in it's further development. It was an oddball decision to fit the 450 with it's limited power to a highway coach but maybe at that particular point that was all that was available for immediate delivery in the weight & size limits of the engine compartment.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212694 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Unusual repowers

Lang wrote: Steve

There was a dollar - in fact all foreign currency - shortage at the end of the war but only because we had spent so much on stuff to fight it. The yanks certainly did not screw the Australians on Lend Lease and, unlike UK, Australia and USA were almost square at the end of the war with the facilities, equipment, food and supplies we provided their troops here. Australia paid cash for the vast majority of their stuff, with depleted reserves still remaining while UK ran out of money very early and clocked up a huge Lend Lease bill that took 50 years to pay back.

With our preferential British Empire agreements we could get stuff in "exchange" from Britain, our biggest trading partner, much cheaper than forking out our low foreign reserves for stuff from elsewhere which could not be balanced by equal exports. Hence huge import duties on non-Empire products and the pommy stuff much cheaper.

It was not American troops who saved Britain it was Churchill's greatest victory of WW2, convincing Roosevelt to coerce a very reluctant US Government to create the Lend Lease system.

If anyone is interested I can put up on its own thread the five page treaty which had Australia and USA square on Lend Lease 9 months after the war finished. A masterpiece of sensible diplomacy completed in a few weeks of negotiation with good will. Today it would take at least 5 years of committees traveling across the world and 5,000 pages in the document.

Lang

Don't anyone tell Donald in case he repudiates it as being the worst deal of all time, all Obama's fault, and they can all get stuffed and he'll personally negotiate the greatest deal of all time because he's the smartest and most loved of everyone who ever lived, and it'll all be for [strike]his[/strike] America's benefit. Did I mention 'get stuffed' before?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago #212696 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Unusual repowers
The Donald Was make n America great again
BUTT

then the virus hit

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212707 by raafy
Replied by raafy on topic Unusual repowers
I remember in the early 70's my cousin on the Sunshine Coast had an ACCO tipper fitted with a Nissan UD3. The engine cover was reworked & didn't leave much room in the cab.

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds