Skip to main content

GPS Speedometer

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215522 by Lang
GPS Speedometer was created by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe speedo cable on the Midliner needs replacing.

Has anyone got experience with GPS Speedos - the analog needle type not LED numbers. They look the go to me at well under $100 for standard 85mm hole units.

I know they are not legal but are much more accurate than ordinary speedos, unless you are in a tunnel.

Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 6 months ago #215526 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang
m80
the most expensive part of the speedo cable is the ends
trot down to your U Bute speedo shop n get m to fit a new cable usin your old ends

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago #215528 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang, the trouble is the warm up times.

The GPS modules have a little onboard battery to keep the clocks running and hold the last known position with all the satellite details.

Generally it's held for about 3-4 days. After that, it's known as a cold start and can take ages to lock onto enough satellites to get a fix and triangulate the position and speed.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215529 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic GPS Speedometer
When it came to sorting out the speedo for the Ford, the cost of going mechanical was dearer the installing a VDO electonic unit with pick up. Nice part is you can tune the speedo as accurate as you like. A little bit of calculating to work out the input pulses but not hard.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215530 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic GPS Speedometer
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationJon

I think GPS has improved greatly over the last few years.

The memory holds for months now and start-up times are seconds. If you switch it off and take it more than 100 miles from your last position it may well take a bit of time to find itself. My new Garmin cheap car GPS has a 12 second cold start time. I do remember the old 20 minute start ups from 20 years ago and waiting an hour 30 years ago for the next satellite to fly over (they even gave you a little chart giving the satellite over-pass times). They were mainly for boats and not fast enough for any sort of car navigation let alone second by second tracking required for a useful speedo.

There are expensive ones which are legal (but no good for my old Mack) which have a wire to the vehicle OBD system. This gives the speedo access to the car speedo readouts (which are subject to all the inaccuracies we know about). Under normal circumstances it reads the GPS signal but if that degrades or you lose it in say, a tunnel or you drive off before it has collected satellites it switches to the OBD signal until GPS becomes strong enough to take over.

Here is a $30 OBD compatible GPS with all the goodies but it is a digital head-up display which my old eyes can not read on a sunny day.

Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago #215534 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang, Geoffb has a GPS speedo in His White. Pretty Sure he'll comment in due course..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago #215537 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic GPS Speedometer
I put a GPS speedo in my Valueliner . It fitted straight into the original speedo hole . It has little hissy fits now and then {Needle does not move . But turn key off then back on and away it goes } . It has been through QLD Machinery inspection with no problems .I bought mine on Ebay . My only suggestion is to Check out the different sellers. Find one showing stocking in OZ Link you shared showed Hong Kong With mail the way it is these days , might take ages the get here .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago #215540 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang that gave me a laugh.
We bought an extremely expensive ( for the times) SatNav in 1990 for the boat.
The civilian system worked on one satellite and all the smarts were in the on board unit, not like today’s units. Story was the military stuff used three satellites for faster and more accurate fixes.
It Would take a minimum of 20 minutes to work out where you were 20 minutes ago then dead reckon to your present position.
It’s favourite message was “ poor fix”.
Even a wet sail was enough to disrupt the signal, another poor fix.
Then we bought a hand held a Garmin, thought it was brilliant, but It would eat batteries in a couple of hours. Couldn’t even get down the Mary before the batteries were gone.
Now you just use the phone.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215542 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic GPS Speedometer
As Seed mentioned have one in the White all good exempt tunnels Was cheaper than a mechanical one
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by geoffb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215544 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic GPS Speedometer
Thanks for the info. I pressed the "Pay Now" button and will await the results.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds