Skip to main content

Two trucks trying to break a small car

More
3 years 3 months ago #217964 by JOHN.K.
I had a couple of breaks with the Gold loadbinder chain you used to get in a bucket......the Hercalloy chain just stretches the links and goes rigid,but the gold binder chain often breaks into several bits........times it broke was towing out of a bog or slippery spot with a loader.......Ive never had any trouble with wire rope...used to break a bit with the Drott,just sort of parts all the wires one after another and falls on the ground......The Drott had a pull of 15 ton,the breaking load of 5/8 wire rope.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217983 by Mrsmackpaul
It took some searching to find a video of what a steel cable actually breaks like in a fair simulation of real world use

Those people, usual 4x4 self appointed experts say a chain will kill you and they are just dangerous even though I know from real world experience that they are far safer and more predictable than a cable
When I try and explain what makes them so safe they just have another beer and continue to dribble the same dribble they have heard seen or read

So here is the video, watch how dangerous a steel cable is
Watch how usless those bag things are that the 4x4 world believe will slow the cable
Watch how far the cable flys compared to either the steel cable or synthetic gizmo latest fad

So much rubbish spoken by self appointed 4x4 experts and you need this and you need that and that will kill you

People today think that they can just go and by experience from the local super cheap or 4x4 supplier and will be safe

You get this done to your 4x4 and that and then you can go anywhere

People need to remember ordinary 2 wd cars did all the off driving in Australia up until the 50's and still did a huge portion of it well into 80's on roads far worse than we have today

Phew thats almost a rant

Heres video, Im pretty sure the bloke said the dozer had 2000 horse power, dunno if I heard that right or he was joking or maybe Im deaf

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 3 months ago #218015 by JOHN.K.
I think the dozer is a Fiat Allis FD20......250hp and 6cyl Fiat 8512T engine...he says 2000hp V8...so pure BS to start......I broke a 9/16 wire rope just awhile ago trying to pull down one of the dead trees in the back.........didnt go bang or fly around....just parted the wires and fell on the tray...Had a few accidents with the old crane with wire rope pulling through end fittings and things falling down lately since Ive been clearing up Willawong.......But ,dont stand in the way,and you dont get hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 3 months ago #218016 by PaulFH
Agree Paul, early VW, Holden, Ford etc with 15 or 16 inch wheels managed some rugged tracks.
Remember a SEC 50's Dodge ute skidding around past our dairy to get to a pole for repairs.
Dad let out a roar, told the driver to get out. Dad got in, let the clutch out at idle and drove it
without skidding to where they wanted it.
D8H we used in the army were 285 HP.
Broke a winch cable on a US D7 moving a big rock into the blasting hole at the quarry.
Flew past my ear onto the bonnet. Lucky driver sits offset on them so missed me.
Seven eighths or one inch cable.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds