Skip to main content

What year/s are these vehicles

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221774 by Normanby
Our local Historical society was given photos associated with a an extended family in Collinsville Q, some showing events such as picnics, dances, rodeos etc. The family member who provided the photos did not have information on all the photos but some with details on the back mentioned the 1930s. If I can attach this photo it was taken at the Bowen River Races which were a long running event in the Collinsville district. I am hoping some one may help us determine a possible date within a few years going by the vehicles shown in the photo. I realize most will not be new but maybe some clues will emerge.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221777 by 180wannabe
The sedan parked behind the grandstand shaped structure looks to be the newest vehicle that i can pick, so the event could be at least 1937/38. Other vehicles are late 1920's, and mid 1930's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Normanby, Southbound

More
2 years 11 months ago #221778 by Roderick Smith
Lots of late 1920s vehicles. the coupe could be 1934 or 35, and possibly a Ford Model A. The biggest clue is the most remote car: steel, with a boot. That brings us up to ~1937.
Roderick
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Normanby

More
2 years 11 months ago #221781 by Mairjimmy

Bit fuzzy but l reckon this is the same car....Ford

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby

More
2 years 11 months ago #221782 by cobbadog
I agree with the date of around 1936/7 with that boot sticking out like it does similar to a Chev.
As for the Ford coupe I think it is a rag top.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221783 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic What year/s are these vehicles
First Ford is a '35 Roadster, second one is a '36.

The bustle back bootlid on the sedan looks to be '36/'37ish and possibly one of the lesser brands like Hudson or . . .

However there is another coupe/roadster tailend visible through the trees which has a bit more swoop to it which suggests maybe a year or two later still even :unsure:
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by PDU.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221792 by Normanby
I appreciate the information offered by the members who responded. I think the date generally agreed is 1937 or possibly 1938. The time of the year while these races were still held in the 1970s and 1980s was June but I would need to find out if it was the same month pre WW2. Incidentally this was a big event for a long time with a campdraft and rodeo held on other days of a long weekend. The rodeo and campdraft are still a yearly event (except 2020) and will be on a June wekend this year.
Thanke to all who commented.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #251445 by Normanby
  Re-starting this post after some time.
Our Historical Society has recently been donated some photos from around the 1950s to the 1970s or so mainly from the Collinsville Q area most have unknown dates. I will list from time to time some of the photos which show vehicles in them. It would be good if members were able to identify the year of manufacture of these vehicles which could give an approximate date of each photo. Of course the actual make and model and any other information is welcome.
The first photo I am adding is easier in some ways because it is a postcard of Innisfail Q sent to Collinsville by a family on holiday date marked Oct 1951.Post card was produced by Murray Views, Gympie Q but has no production date. I do not know how often postcards were updated so the info on the vehicles may give an approximate date of the photo. There are two utes in the foreground which I expect will be easy for some members to identify plus many other cars shown in what could be the main street. 
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Normanby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #251447 by wouldyou
Regarding the three newest vehicles in the foreground they have separate headlights, 1941 seems about the year when they were incorporated in the mudguards, with it being wartime and virtually no new vehicles the photo could have well been taken in1946.
David.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #251449 by asw120
Middle ute D1/D2 International. First one just quickly, may be '38 Chev.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by asw120.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds