Skip to main content

British Heavy Haulage.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229812 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic British Heavy Haulage.
On looking at these pictures for about the third time, I noticed a roof-mounted air-conditioner on the Sunters Scammell. Why? are they worried the temperature will exceed 20 degrees Centigrade or are they set on heating only?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229813 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic British Heavy Haulage.
Probably like most pommy trucks it was cheaper to put in aircon than try to insulate and seal the thousand gaps and holes in the firewall and floor leaking hot engine air into the cab. I would imagine the heavy haulage blokes would be roasting at the walking pace of progression and hours spent idling or backing and filling to get around obstacle or waiting for them to be cleared.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229837 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic British Heavy Haulage.
The LAD , or "vistaview" cab as it was called when first introduced in the early 60's was reasonably air tight, depending on what engine cover arrangement you had. Not much room inside then though and barely enough room between steering wheel and windscreen for a set of knuckles. The Leyland Comet and Dodges used a short door version. A number of these Scammells were taken to the oil states for the building of major port facilities which might explain the air con.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229845 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic British Heavy Haulage.

Clearing a London bomb site in 1964
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by grandad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229854 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic British Heavy Haulage.
It's amazing to me that they were still using those solid tyred floats for that long. I guess, if they still did the job and had done, so why not.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229873 by husky
Replied by husky on topic British Heavy Haulage.
Hi cobbadog ,Eddie stobart was set up in Carlisle in the early sixties as farm transport that grew into one of the UKs largest transport companies with depot and logistic sites all across the country , He was apparently quite a strict man to work for and all drivers had to wear shirt and ties at all times when on duty ,there is a TV series that was around and it showed what it was like to work there .he sponsored a rally team with Ford and i not sure if Colin Mcrae was one of the drivers. The naming of each truck was a idea he took from another Carlisle company of Robsons border transport that had been doing this since the fifties. The transport company that your thinking of that used to transport all the bands around the UK and Europe was Edwin Shirley trucking ,bright yellow and purple livery that really stood out . There is a video on U Tube about Siddle C Cook which was shot by him of some of the operations and loads that he shifted ,with a line up of the fleet in the yard he mentions the Guy invincible as state of the art vehicle with locking doors , a heater and a plug for an electric shaver for the driver .
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by husky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229874 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic British Heavy Haulage.
Wee Allis it has been mentioned before but many Australian councils still used those small solid tyre track rollers of WW2 Bren Gun Carriers right up into the 60's for their work and even footpath roller trailers. I can well remember them in both Melbourne and Southport Qld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 4 months ago #229878 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic British Heavy Haulage.
SMore

Destination Windscale

Pickfords Heavy Haulage Brochure

Pickfords Heavy Haulage

Pickfords Scammell

Pickfords Scammell

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229905 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic British Heavy Haulage.
I watch the series on tv with the Stobart trucks all wrapped up in company logo travel all around the UK. I cant remember how long agao I saw the Stobart Rally car out here nor the driver at the time but it was right at the end of the tv series I think.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: husky

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds