Skip to main content

POWER STEERING BEDFORD

More
2 years 2 months ago #231230 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD

Thanks Paul.

Taken at Mundi Mundi Plains, out the back of Silverton. (Broken Hill)
Not quite the arsehole of the earth but you can smell it from there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231239 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
Seeing how I am still living in the past in many ways I must ask how do these electric power steering sets work? Does the electric motor do all the assistance or is there more down on the steering box?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231240 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
Cobba, most have an electric motor on the rack. I'm not sure how the sensing works. ie how it detects that the steering wheel has turned.
On the Territory, you can calibrate it and set drift by using an app. Plus, a good wheel alignment place should check all those sort of things when adjusting the alignment.

Geoff, if you need some info on power steering conversion, just ask. Mine has a Isuzu FSR box fitted.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231247 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
This is the best conversion video I have found for a simple project not involving rack replacement. It explains that it does not have to have the steering electronic box hooked up to a modern car ECU to add speed, ABS etc signals but can be used alone in a "fail-safe" mode just giving a consistent assist across the whole range. A Bedford version would of course not need the ratio reducer or various adaptors he has used for his rally car but would just slot straight into a cut original steering column.

This is the Prius unit stripped of all the Toyota column parts. How easy is this to put in any vehicle?
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #231265 by geoffb

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231267 by jon_d
Have I missed some thing here?

The axle rating on my bus is 3770 kgs. I don't see how a Prius power steering unit (500kgs front axle (ish) ) would work.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231270 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
The Power steering is working from the steering wheel side of the original box with normal human input. It is not replacing all the gearing in the original steering box to turn the wheels which has already reduced forces to a manageable le3vel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231275 by jon_d
Thanks Lang, I understand but am not convinced.
I physically couldn't turn the wheel when not moving. Even at low speeds, I had to work hard. I wonder how long the motor would last when trying to turn at low speeds.

If it's just to give some assistance when moving then yes, it may help.... but then, (Q?), will the steering box handle the extra forces applied on the worm and sector? .... don't know; it would be interesting to see.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231276 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
How would you get on with the authorities as far as cutting a steering column though!
Usually something they take a pretty dim view of, Little different, but I put power steering on an early Jeep, used the top half of a VH Commode shaft and steering wheel, had to show where it had been cut and resplined, which was a pain because I'd already installed it, made me take it back out so could be inspected, ( this in Victoria and about 20 years ago).
At one stage they wanted an X ray, but settled for a certificate from the engineers who did the spline.
Just asking, maybe changed now, but would imagine things we got away with not so many years ago, they'd stomp on you for now.
Be happy to be corrected, though.
Seems today you have bet ter luck changing over to a full power system set up even from another make of vehicle.
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Dave_64.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 2 months ago #231279 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic POWER STEERING BEDFORD
Power steering is for whimps
LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH