Skip to main content

Smoky Engine

More
2 years 5 days ago #234376 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Smoky Engine
This is not oil smoke as such, I'm one of these pedantic people who dip the oil EVERY time prior to starting.
NEVER have had to add oil since last oil change.

I'd just about be willing to bet the farm that this is diesel fuel smoke, not oil!

When I first fired the engine up, and it had been unstarted for some months, it didnt have the return fuel line back to the tank hooked up, which could have, according to some, causing the injector pump to "overfuel".
This has since been rectified and the return line, after checking it was clear and free flowing, you can hear return fuel running back, even had it returning into a seperate 4 litre plastic container, so know that its not " backing up" any surplus fuel at the pump.
About 6-8 months ago, rang a mobile pump/injector who said If I took the pump and injectors off and took them into him, he would check them out and I 'd then put them back in myself.
When I fronted him about whether he ran a 'mobile' service or not he told me he worked one out by himself and he was flat out doing farm
Implements, said there wasnt any screaming hurry, but wanted it done and willing to pay for same, but reluctant to touch the pump itself.
Reploed with , "well, take the squirters out first and we'll do them , you'll at least be able to rule them out"
May make sense to some, but after a working life with trucks and eartmoving gear, always seen them done together .
Took my phone number, as I said, 6-8 months ago now, still havent heard from him, so for mine, he can do without my patronage.
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 days ago #234381 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Smoky Engine
That's interesting. I thought it was fairly common to get the injectors tested and nozzles cleaned without touching the pump, if same was working OK.
Being a turbo (?) isn't there some doohicky on the pump to compensate for boost, or such? I don't know if that would have any effect on idle smoke, but would love to learn a bit more about it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 5 days ago - 2 years 5 days ago #234383 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Smoky Engine
asw120,
Yes, there is some doohicky thing on top of the pump, a little vacuum arrangement, but I dont know anything about it so left it alone!
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 5 days ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 5 days ago #234385 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Smoky Engine
My 1997 HZJ75 Landcruiser ute with 1HZ motor is on it's 3rd set of injectors, but the pump is still untouched at 435k km. I find changing the injectors myself is relatively cheap and very beneficial.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 days ago #234393 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Smoky Engine
Dave, ask the question here, www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defender-county/ or here www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery-1-a/
You'll have to sign up to access these areas, but you get 2 months free trial period.
There is a wealth of information on that board. IIRC, you have a tdi 200, they're relatively rare in this country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds