Skip to main content

McGrath trailer

More
1 year 11 months ago #234998 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic McGrath trailer
I was thinking the same thing Lang

But me been a tight wad was think it would be easier and cheaper to demolish a house, the frame would make good boards when dressed down to say a 1 1/2"

Im pretty sure that was close to the original thickness on trailers

Then cut the right shape with a router and the tray would be well seasoned and dry as you would ever get for not a huge amount of money

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #234999 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McGrath trailer
Turpentine is a large tree species occurring along the eastern coast of Australia from Bateman's Bay in New South Wales to Cooktown in North Queensland.

The true wood of this species ranges in colour from deep red to red-brown. Sapwood is distinctively paler, often creamy. The texture of Turpentine timber is fine to medium but often wavy, with interlocked grain. It is relatively free of gum veins.

Turpentine is extremely durable in above ground applications, where its life expectancy is in excess of 40 years. In-ground life expectancy ranges from 15 to 25 years. The timber of this species is termite-resistant, and untreated sapwood is immune to lyctid borer attack.

Turpentine is the main Australian species for marine pilings, as its high silica content makes it resistant to Teredinidae marine borers. Other engineering applications include wharf and bridge construction (as both sawn and round timber), railway sleepers, and mining timbers. Construction applications include general house framing, flooring and decking, lining and cladding. Turpentine is an excellent timber for dance floors. It is also used in the construction of plywood, laminated beams and bench tops, and for joinery and parquetry. Other applications include boatbuilding (knees, gunwales, planking, decking) and the production of oyster stakes, wine casks, mallets, and bearings.

Untreated timber of this species is equivalent to 'fire retardant treated timber' when tested in accordance with AS/NZS 3837. The bushfire rating of this species is expected to remain unchanged if assessed in accordance with proposed changes to the standard.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #235001 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McGrath trailer
Paul

The shiplap joint does not stop the timber curling on the edge unless fastened through the joint itself while tongue and groove does inherently by its construction..

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 11 months ago #235048 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic McGrath trailer
A simple way of making your own tongue and groove is to router the groove in the middle on both sides and use lengths of the plast tongue used on floor sheeting.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 11 months ago #235131 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic McGrath trailer
My old Freighter had 1” ply.
As the trailer had grain chutes, I guess it would have shouveled off easily.
It was in perfect condition apart from one small corner section down the back where water must have sat. Would have never seen a garage/shed until I bought it.
Mates with T&G floors always had the fear they would blow. We didn’t use ship lapped planks, just removed the bottom tongue off the last plank so it could drop in.
Did the same procedure replacing boards on squash courts when heavy players would put a foot through the floor. They were 32mm finished size Tasy Oak and pro players would still punch through up at the front wall.

More
1 year 11 months ago #235134 by 67mustang
Replied by 67mustang on topic McGrath trailer
Hi all

Just thought i would send a inquiry to the local timber merchant with the view of maybe buy some each month over a few months.

They couldn't source Tallow Wood or Turpentine as such quotes me on Spotted Gum, also highlighting as i wanted all 2.4 mt length's there was some extra cost as normally they just sell pack lots.

90 x 35 machined to 80 x 32 is $19.50 a mt comes in at $7020.00 I just about went out the paddock and started cutting down my gum trees?

MA

More
1 year 11 months ago #235135 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic McGrath trailer
Can’t beat Port Kembla pine in the long run.

More
1 year 11 months ago #235138 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic McGrath trailer
I think it is only going to go up in price as more forests get locked up

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 11 months ago #235165 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic McGrath trailer
Do myou think its better to start putting the money aside then buy the lot in one hit and hope for a better price?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 11 months ago #235167 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic McGrath trailer
Concrete Formply at a Hundred Bucks a Sheet would be Looking attractive, I reckon Mustang..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds