Skip to main content

Is AB series engine a "Silver Diamond"?

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249174 by spinnerboy
What engine series in AB? Can I use a head from later or earlier engines? There is an AL190 complete engine available, this compatible?
Thanks, Lenny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249178 by PaulFH
AB 160 and 180 in 1964 had AGD 282 motor.
Think denoted Australian Gold Diamond.
AA 180 new in 1963 same motor though painted blue. Earlier AA 180 had the 281 motor.
Heads were changed from the earlier series.
Inter guys on here will know about your model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249181 by asw120
AB was gold diamond.  A 6-281 (later) head is the same casting number as a gold diamond head.
Gold diamond was tilt valve, silver was vertical valve.

Jarrod. 

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249183 by 180wannabe
I think an L190 engine will be an RD-372 (Super Red Diamond).  A fairly different engine from SD and AGD.

Brett. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249193 by bparo
look at the engine number. If it starts with 2 or 3 letters that's the engine type and the 3 numbers after it is the engine size from factory.
other than the 281/2/3 which I think were all coded 282 but had different inlet/ outlet maniifolds but were the same internals the codes went as follows
First letter A - Australian Motor cast and built in Geelong. American built motors didn't have the A but shared the same
next 2 letters in the smaller motors:
SD - Silver Diamond
GD - Gold Diamond
BD - Blue Diamond
then the size is the next 3 digits , usually 220, 240 or 264
The bigger trucks had red and Black Diamond motors and I have seen RD used for Red Diamond. I don't know what they used for Black Diamond to differentiate it from the Blue. They were usually in R180, R190 etc trucks

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249203 by spinnerboy
Thanks for replies and info, will check in more detail now what's there.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249211 by JOHN.K.
People used to overbore the Silver motors to a 240 ,but it left the cylinders very thin,and sometimes they would blow out.........you can sometimes find the 282/3 motors with an ADEV engine number ...........after IHA discontinued the motors ,the army arranged to have parts made all over so they could assemble new motors .,which had the ADEV engine numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #249236 by bparo

People used to overbore the Silver motors to a 240 ,but it left the cylinders very thin,and sometimes they would blow out.........you can sometimes find the 282/3 motors with an ADEV engine number ...........after IHA discontinued the motors ,the army arranged to have parts made all over so they could assemble new motors .,which had the ADEV engine numbers.
According to the 1955 IH Service manual I had the difference in a 220 to 240 from the factory was the stroke. The bore stayed the same so they used the same everything except for the crank and conrods. Why would people bore a 220 and need to get custom pistons etc made?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

Time to create page: 1.311 seconds