Skip to main content

Does welding broken axles work?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250430 by Zuffen
I've been watching video of Pakistani workers welding all sorts of components that I would never consider as weldable to the point you could use them in a truck.

I've seen front axles, stub axles, rear diff housings, axle shafts, pinion gears, crankshafts and transmission components.  Plus no doubt more.

All of the above would have failed through outright abuse and they will no doubt continue to be abused.

Can they really work as intended?

What are your thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250432 by PaulFH
Mate welded 1938 Morris axle for me, prepared ends and clamped to an old head to keep it straight. He was a skilled welder.
Worked normally and lasted.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250433 by wee-allis
Had a Victorian pilgrim customer in a'53 Chev ute which broke a back axle. I pulled the broken bits out and a local engineer welded it back together on a Saturday afternoon. It got him back to Mexico ok, but with a leaking seal, which was not replaced, probably damaged when the axle broke.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250434 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Does welding broken axles work?
I had an FJ axle shear just past the brake drum allowing the wheel and brake drum to wander somewhat. I got home (about five miles) by thumping it back on every third lamp post.

Large heavy washer welded to what was left of the axle and it was still like that for about two weeks, after which I sold it to a guy who wasn't overly fussed about it and drove it home 50+ miles!

Never saw him again and can only assume he got home okay???  

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250435 by Mrsmackpaul
I have welded up stub axles and never had a issue

I reckon it all depends on the bloke holding the welder

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250438 by cobbadog
Yes Paul and that is exactly why you would NOT want me to weld a component like that together for anyone.

Over the years I too have watched some youtube clips showing the welding of anything that has parted its way from its mate. Axles, diffs, chassis, beam axles and so on with busy Indian blokes doing the lot using an arc welder and wearing thongs as safety boots. Mind you the exact same capers are done in Chinesia.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250465 by JOHN.K.
There is one vid of a guy fixing a broken front axle beam .....the king pin bore has broken out ...........he s deciding whether to use another cut off end ,or weld up the break ........which is what he does ..........he makes a point of showing he's using low hydrogen rods ...so its all good...........some of the other rear housing breaks ,you can see they have been welded many times before .......but the chassis repairs are the best .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds