Skip to main content

Dodge AT4 675 (1970?)

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #250998 by lemmiwinks
Replied by lemmiwinks on topic Dodge AT4 675 (1970?)
I hear what you're saying Lang, but I'm not trying to build a shiny "as new" or better than it rolled off the production line truck.  Absolutely no disrespect to those blokes who do  -  I really enjoy looking at them and I think the end result is absolutely beautiful, a real credit to everyone involved.  But I'm just going to clean it up as little as possible and get to pottering around in it as soon as possible.  I know I'm still going to be into it for serious cash, but if anything, the insanity in the world these days has shown me that there's never been a better time to do it, whatever "it" is that you've been wanting to do!

Previously I would have torn it to bits, gotten part way through and baulked at the mounting costs and ended up with a basket case mouldering away somewhere (probably with my other, similar mistakes).  But I'm learning, albeit slowly.  E.g. recently picked up a 1978 Yamaha XS650 Special (not enough wheels for you blokes, I know, but bear with me).  It's farm fresh, with a good coating of patina, not as much as the Dodge, but still.

Old me would have stripped it and got all new shiny chrome etc, then freaked out and bailed on the excessive costs.  Instead, I tidied it up, got it running the day after I picked it up, took it for a rip in the paddock with only rear brake (grinning like a cheshire cat), and as soon as the last couple of parts show up it'll get rego and I'll start really enjoying it.

To each their own though, and remember, whoever dies with the most toys, still dies. 

Tip:  Aluminium foil and glass cleaner (Windex or cheap knock off) is absolutely amazing on rusted chrome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds