Skip to main content

anyone seen old car carriers the 70's / 80's?

More
14 years 4 days ago #27174 by atkipete
Swishy might be able to do the illustrations for you, then bring it out as a book. ;D ;D ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27175 by prodrive
see if this works, picture of Nigels Mack R600 Car carrier on photobucket. let me know will you?

i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/prodri...982.jpg?t=1272604092

More
14 years 4 days ago #27176 by prodrive

More
14 years 4 days ago - 14 years 4 days ago #27177 by bigcam
Here you go mate. Next time click on the IMG Code, then paste on to here. Now you've got the hang of it, you can whack up a heap more, no one will complain.

Last edit: 14 years 4 days ago by bigcam.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27178 by prodrive
Great stuff Big Cam! I'll give it a whirl...

More
14 years 4 days ago #27179 by prodrive
[IMG] i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/prodri...S1418belmont.jpg[/IM

yeah thats the image code, lets see what happens!!!

More
14 years 4 days ago #27180 by prodrive

Hmm bigcam, doesn't seem to be working i better get back and read all the instructions again...

More
14 years 4 days ago #27181 by prodrive

maybe this one will work..

More
14 years 3 days ago #27182 by GM Diesel
Ive got this old strap car trailer in the yard.
Apparently it used to run backwards and fowards across the paddock in the 60's-70's. BPW axle.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

14 years 3 days ago #27183 by
Bazza - That's a pretty straight old trailer for a rig that has no doubt done a couple of million miles of hammering back and forth across, what wasn't the smoothest road in the nation, at that time .. :)

I can see how they got two cars on top .. but I can't see how they got a car up on the deck above the turntable, on the lower deck? Did they have long ramps that are no longer there??

Talking about car-carrying trailers reminds me of an episode I saw in 1975. I lived on our gold mine at Higginsville, about 60kms North of Norseman, in those days .. and just up the road a couple of kliks was a big hill, called Binaronca Hill. It had a fairly sharp curve and a big cutting, right on the top.

The cutting was on the inside of the curve, and the road sloped with a pretty good crossfall towards the cutting. The wall of the cutting, and the roadside drain, were a nice greasy clay. As you headed North to Coolgardie, the cutting wall was on your left.

I was contracting at the Redross mine, which was about 2kms the far side of Binaronca Hill, so I had to climb over Binaronca every morning with the tandem ACCO-1840, to go to work, carting sand to backfill the mine.

One wet Winter morning, I was chugging over the top of Binaronca .. and I was stunned to see a set of truck and trailer wheeltracks .. that ran off the road (into the greasy wet clay), on the inside of the curve .. ran up the WALL of the cutting about 4 or 5 metres (keeping in mind, that this wall was about 55

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds