Skip to main content

Joe Roughan Haulage of Nunawading

More
13 years 11 months ago #29418 by tipperman1
Hi all,

Was just thumbing through a September 1979 copy of Truck & Bus which I found in an op shop.

It had a feature on Joe Roughan Haulage who seemed to be a resonably large tipper operator , with 13 trucks.

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to them when they finished etc.
According to the article they did quite a bit for Readymix.

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #29419 by tipperman1

These were some of the fleet, might jog the odd memory!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #29420 by Swishy

Tippr Man
GuddayM8

Gr8 Pix
keep m Cummin

I did not kno m personaly
but did C m everywhere on the run
Twaz a well run Co th@ many admired
jist ran like a well oil d machine
he did have on the shelf change over Engine, Gearbox, Diffs etc to keep the beasts on the go
me thinks towards the end he even had the oldest truck as a spare so the production could B kept up
I'm probly rong but me thinks Boral took m over

Can remember makein a delivery next door to there depot n they were film n the fleet @ work so may B the family may have a bit of footage of Joe Roughan Haulage transport icon
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 11 months ago #29421 by tipperman1
Cheers Swishy,

I got the impression from the article that they had pretty good workshop facilities.

Says that all the trucks were fitted with tachographs as well which would have been unusual at the time.

They were heavily involved in the Sugarloaf Dam construction. Evidently Readymix supplied all the concrete for the Dam which they batched on site.
Roughans carted in all the aggregates.

Mark

More
13 years 11 months ago #29422 by Rob365
Hi T/Man,

Yes, Roughan's did cart for Readymix, so much so that their trucks turned pink like all other R/mix trucks did in the early 80's. Don't know if they were bought out or just changed colours for a contract etc.

I always thought they looked better in orange hurtling down Blackburn Road past my school. Sounded good with engine brakes on and empty trailers "bouncing" too!! :) :)

Cheers

Rob

More
13 years 10 months ago #29423 by SAR-8V92
As far as I know the bloke who bought Walter Wright also bought Roughan Haulage and added about six new N12 Volvos to the fleet at the time. Joe Roughan had a specific spec for his KW's, NTC 350, 13 speeds, 44's on Hendrikson Hamelex body on the truck and Hamelex dogs, they were always tidy bits of gear. When Walter Wright went under, Boral bought the fleet until they did the big Freightliner deal years ago.

Keep on fillin those tanks with motion lotion till the next destination.

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds