Skip to main content

Is this true?

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31653 by bigcam
Is this true? was created by bigcam
I've heard this story before, only the setting was Millmerran Queensland, I've wondered if it is an urban myth, and someone E mailed me this clipping. Sarge, do you always wear your Hi Vis vest?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31654 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Is this true?
ive heard the same story at one of the many mine inductions ive done. copper pulled up old mate for going 10ks over the limit. he asked mr policeman if he really wanted to book him. ticket was written out. then workplace health and safety officer got out and wrote him up for no vest, warning signs ect. who knows if it was true or not. throw the book at them i say (safety officer) they should practice what they preach. safety is that mad out at these mines now that someone is going to get killed because of it. :D

13 years 9 months ago #31655 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is this true?
Truckie next door to my shop, told me a good one the other day. Worksafe Inspectors are hot on everything and everyone around here. He has a mate out Midland way, who has a tyre shop. A W.I. turns up and tells the bloke he wants to inspect his air compressor. The bloke told him to FU, he wasn't going to look at anything in his shop! The W.I. hit his straps, reads him the Riot Act, and told him he was coming back with a Warrant to enter his premises. Sure enough, next day, he comes back with a Warrant.
The tyre bloke lets him in, and as he's looking at the compressor, he says to him .. "I also want you to inspect and certify every pressure vessel in my yard! - all 450 of them! - and points to his yard, full of used tyres!! .. ;D

He goes on .. "If you reckon my air tank is a pressure vessel, with substantial danger to workers - then why don't you inspect and certify every tyre in my yard! - all of which are uncertified pressure vessels!!" .. ;)

The W.I. muttered something under his breath .. did a cursory inspection of the compressor .. and promptly took off!! .. and hasn't been back!! .. :D

A bloke around the corner has an old Clark forklift he drags boats in and out of his shop with, and it often sits out the front of his shop on a big hardstand area, that includes the verge.
Anyway, a Worksafe inspector spotted this old Clark and promptly jumped on him, and came down on him like a Nazi stormtrooper.
The bloke with the boats effectively told him to go take a running jump, and the WI threatened to clean him out with work orders and fines, and shut him down.
Somewhere along the line they both cooled down, and a meeting ground was arranged .. because the fork is still there, nothings changed .. and he still drags his boats in and out with it.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31656 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: Is this true?
Sounds like bulldust to me, i asked the local Senior Sarg from the Highway Patrol about the cops and their vests and was told they do not have to wear them. The have certain exemptions for this with OH&S. :o

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31657 by
The Missus and I are taking a tour of Europe next month, starting from Paris. I was reading up on French road rules, and was quite surprised to find, that Hi-Vis vests are compulsory in France for car drivers, and one HAS to be carried in the car at all times .. AND, it HAS to be carried and readily accessible, IN the vehicle passenger area! .. not in the boot! The fine is between

More
13 years 9 months ago #31658 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Is this true?
Cam, its a Myth probably, but based on a smidgen of truth. I am aware locally and elsewhere where Work Cover have told Police managers to get their blokes on the road (their work place) to Vest Up. (after being seen at booze bus site or traffic accident)
So those that do mainly traffic work maily wear vests the rest will wear them at accidents and the like but generally dont...

From my point of view... put them on if it makes you safer.

I got one in the truck, just in case I need to wear it at a break down (not mine) and at home doesnt count.. ;D

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31659 by
There's no way in the world, I'd stand on any road anywhere .. where there is high speed traffic .. without a vest, and anything else that helps idiots in cars to actually see you, and perhaps even slow down.

I've done any amount of roadworks, a lot of which was constructing new roads to join other roads .. and you would be amazed how many people will NOT slow down (usually from 110 or 120 kph), under any circumstances .. even when you have earthmoving plant actually ON the road .. and regardless of how many warnings signs, speed restriction signs, traffic cones, and whatever else you can put up.

When you break down, attend an accident, or attempt to remove debris/obstructions/load materials, that are in a traffic lane .. you take your life in your hands, even standing anywhere NEAR a traffic lane. They will run you down, and run into you .. even in a breakdown lane.

Watching some of the YouTube vids that show cop car cameras in the U.S., and the number of cops that get wiped out, just standing, talking to drivers, makes you realise that probably a quarter of the drivers on the road can't see anything more than 50 metres in front of them, and probably another 1/4 are high on booze, drugs, or road hypnosis, or something .. and that getting right away from traffic lanes is a real good idea, unless you actually have a physical barrier, to MAKE them slow down, and actually see you, and perhaps avoid getting hit .. :(

More
13 years 9 months ago #31660 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Is this true?
This is a partial urban myth or more so, Aussie-exgerated! I have a good friend who is an inspector with Work Cover and I asked him about this when I heard the story a few years back. He knew of the Inspector in the story and said that he was pulled over for a RBT and commented to the copper that he didn't have his vest on when all of the other coppers did. He simply pointed out that he could be fined under Work Cover law and they both moved on.

Of course we would all love to think that it happened as in the article.............

Some play hard to get

More
13 years 9 months ago #31661 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Is this true?
All

I ran a wrecking yard for some years (a few years back)

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds