Skip to main content

Scrap..what is scrap, when does it become scrap?

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31691 by Chocs
Hi All...
As well as being a Signwriter...i also cart 'scrap' metal,
have done for ten years...
i am posting this from my view point in my experience only...not intended to annoy or upset anyone...
No need to answer this post...its a viewpoint not the start of a war...thank you.
Think about it from a different angle, not mine but perhaps a property owner or even perhaps a deceased estate...
I have read many posts in relation to things being scrapped, people 'put down' for scrapping items etc...
In ten years of being a 'scrappie' i have obviously seen things that could perhaps of been of use to somebody..
Where possible i advise people to perhaps advertise certain items of possible value, not only to preserve the item,but also to increase their income...
More often than not..the items have been offered for sale via paper etc. or clearing sale and not been sold.
'Clubs' have been contacted and yes they will have all and sundry...and will collect them...sometime in the future..probably well beyond the required time frame...
Deceased estates often have someone in charge who doesnt care or have any interest in these items and has been left a 'mess' to clean up! especially when dealing with the loss a family member.
So it gets left and the scrapman is called...
i have 'saved' items for people, phoned or emailed people, even carried items hundreds of kilometres only to sit them in the yard...for ages until, sorry we dont want them now..sorry we didnt realise we would have to pay you for the trouble or the purchase value (not the 'retailed scrap value' after processing and cartage)...or whatever..
In most cases, the 'scrap' heap has been picked over so many times by the owner then subsequently by 'restorers and collectors' and 'gadget builders' then clearing sale buyers, that what is left is SCRAP!!!!
It may not soften the blow of items being 'scrapped' and it doesn't make it 'right'...but its life..
Some people collect 'cards' therefore are upset at the paper recyclers..what sort of a mess would we all be in if we all kept our papers at home for them??
Yes its a shame but it has to be done..we have created a disposable and recyclable society..
Wrong thing to say but....every one that is scrapped makes yours that bit more valuable! ;)
Ok thats my piece for what its worth..
Sorry if you hate 'Scrappies', some of us are good blokes, with a heart and a brain and a passion for things not made any more.
Do it easy
Chocs 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31692 by Old AB
Well spoken,, As an ex Scrap getter i no what you mean.. I use to take shitte loads home for blokes that never come and got it,,, pulled out good parts, and they changed there minds.. Got over it pretty quick. Only took home the bits i wanted, rang everyone i new who needed bits to get them direct from the job, some did, the rest scrapped. Got some great inter parts over the years.. But still told the same thing,, I would have took that off your hands if id have known,, But i got the good bits myself,,, ;D ;D

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds