Skip to main content

Nissan UD engines

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31902 by melonreo
Nissan UD engines was created by melonreo
i have a nissan UD4 in 1 of my old diamond T ,s , so ive been keeping an eye out for bits and pieces , so far ive scored 2 5 cylinder engines that i need some bits for , but today a aquired 2 UD4 engines for a parts trade off... ai was amazed at this strange contraption hanging out the back of the rocker cover , upon investigation ive found that it apears to be a exhaust brake. like a mechanical jake brake 8-) 8-) 8-) has any one ever seen this before

this is a normal set up
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by melonreo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31903 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Nissan UD engines
i know of a UD 2 stroke in a old thorneycroft prime mover ..

More
13 years 9 months ago #31904 by Dodge fred
Replied by Dodge fred on topic Re: Nissan UD engines
It looks like it would work on all cylinders at the same time so maybe a decompresor for shuting the engine down, just a thought.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31905 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Nissan UD engines
Probobly be a good emergency stop Pat, as long as there was a bit of air pressure.

More
13 years 9 months ago #31906 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Nissan UD engines
Well after having an indepth look in my UD4 workshop manual ....I can't find anything about that setup.

maybe it's a later ... after market......setup ??? I'm leaning towards maybe some sort of exhaust brake.

My reasons for this are as follows

If you look at the cyl on the outside it looks as if it pushes up and rotates the shaft so that the rockers lift off the valves......same as shutting the exhaust off with an exhaust brake.

If it were an engine shut off why would it have air lines going into both sides of the cyl ?? Wouldn't it be spring held off with air on so as to always be in the off position when theres no air ??

Any chance of some pic's of the rockers and shaft dismantled???

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #31907 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Nissan UD engines
it does what you say werk , it shifts the pivot point in and out , in about a 30 degree of rotation ,so it might stop the valves from opening at all which i guess would act as a compression brake :-?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by melonreo.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds