Skip to main content

Help on Napier truck engine

More
13 years 9 months ago #32413 by Des Beechey
I am a boat person looking for help on a truck engine.
I have an old fishing boat in Tasmania. A chap who worked on the boat as a boy, in 1952, said she had a Napier truck engine. He said "21 hp, has 12 spark plugs in her, 6 cylinders. She started on petrol, then switched to kerosene".
I can't find anything about Napier trucks or engines in Australia in 1952. Can anyone give me any leads?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 9 months ago #32414 by Swishy

Des
GuddayM8
Welcome to the truck forum

if u could get sum pix of the beast
this could help
I'll putup a pic of a Napier in Queensland n th@ might jog sum memories of the owners name 4 U
as he might have dun the ground work of findin bits etc

1912 Napier at the TWU day 2007 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

HCVC Truck show @ Chesterfield Farm Melb

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 9 months ago #32415 by bigcam
Ian Fordyce, ACES auto electrical (Auto Craft Electrical Service), Dyson ave, Sunnybank, Brisbane owns the one on the back of Swishy's truck. He's a nice bloke, but keep in mind if your giving him a call that he's running a business that he is pretty much the main part of when you give him a call. I havn't got his number on me, but that should be enough info to get it.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32416 by atkipete
I think Napier were also into aircraft engines later on.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32417 by mammoth
Napier designed the Leyland 300 diesel motor as fitted into the 1949 Comet. All development after that was done by Leyland. I think Napier had involment in a lot of projects around that era but didn't actually make much themselves. As a truck maker their last effort was a 2 tonner after ww1. They developed a 3 wheeler but sold rights to Scammael in 1931 and it became the Scarab

More
13 years 8 months ago #32418 by jules
Napier's diesel in 1940s & 50s were primarily used in boats & locomotives. They even designed an aviation diesel.
The 2 cycle engines were of the opposed cylinder design to which Commer probably owes a debt.

Jules

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds