Skip to main content

Photo from the 30's ?? what truck is it

More
13 years 9 months ago #32494 by mammoth
Most likely to be a J type of WW1 vintage on account of there being lots made and sold as surplus after wars end, but could be one of the bigger models up to late 20's. (The A series had tapered bonnets where this one is straight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32495 by Intermodel63
The bigger later Leylands had a distinctive louvred upper bonnet panel & a hinged louvred lower panel. I am interested if anyone thinks that it has an injector pump. My mate who gave me the photo to scan said that somebody thought it was an Overland????

Graham :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #32496 by Intermodel63

More
13 years 9 months ago #32497 by mammoth
It won't have an injector pump if it has the original engine as no one had a production diesel until around 1932. What you are probably seeing is the spark plug leads from the magneto

More
13 years 9 months ago #32498 by Intermodel63
Agree it would be a retrofit if a diesel which is possible as it was taken in the 30"s still an interesting arrangement with the leads all coming out the top in a line. We may never know what breed she be.

• Topic Author
13 years 9 months ago #32499 by
From my investigation the first truck with diesel engine was made by MAN, Benz and Daimler is tested in 1923. With trucks actually produced from 1924. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Also appears that AEC may have been one of the first english companies to introduce Diesel's in 1930. With Thornycroft and leyland started in 1931. www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/thornycroft.htm

In the US looks like Kenworth was the first to adobt diesel engines in 1933 www.kenworth.com/7100_ken.asp

Just a bit of interesting info.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32500 by Intermodel63
The plot thickens what happened before the www? I recall seeing a photo of a Stirling about a '34 model which looked similar.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32501 by Intermodel63
Gilpin Drapery (Vic) had quote "A fleet of twenty motor trucks, with trailers, Australia's largest privately owned diesel fleet" so it appears it is an injector pump in the engine bay. A little more delving & maybe can find what type.

Graham

More
13 years 8 months ago #32502 by Intermodel63
Gilpin ran Thornycrofts the early ones had Dorman-Ricardo diesel engines and later some Gardiners.

Gaham

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds