Skip to main content

Help! Can't tow horse float - coupling difficulty

More
13 years 8 months ago #33053 by BruceHoultThomson
Hi Guys, I'm desperate for some smart help towing a horse float away for a lady friend who needs to sell it and get it off her property. The float (and type of coupling) are visible on the TradeMe website it's being sold on - see
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=307605179 Basically, at the underneath of the front of the float there's a round plate with a steel pin pointing downwards to be received by some sort of socket. We've phoned every tow company around. No luck. The brakes will also have to be un-activated by either pressure or vaccuum, but that's not the main problem, it's the coupling. The previous owner says he used to have an old Bedford that would do it, but it requires a towing turntable that's on the centre of the drive axle on a 4" x 2", whatever that means. We've got to get the thing out because the property is being sold. Will we have to cut it into pieces? Can you help? Regards, Bruce Thomson in Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33054 by Coupeute
From the picture you need a prime mover truck. The 4x2 the bloke refered to is a 4 wheeled truck, 2 wheel drive. If it a standard item, the prime mover should have air couplings to release the brakes, assuming they are air brakes. Another option is to call a heavy tow company. They should be set up to remove a trailer like that.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
13 years 8 months ago #33055 by BruceHoultThomson
Thanks very much Coupeute. I've written down what you said, and have also contacted a heavy truck moving company, emailing them the picture of the coupling. Cheers,
Bruce

More
13 years 8 months ago #33056 by oldfulla
Bruce

While there is a hose or something hanging (in the photo) that partially blocks a full view of the 'tow coupling'. However - it appears VERY much like a standard semi trailer king pin and skid plate.

So all you need is a common every day semi trailer prime mover - that will back under and hook up.

It might require a single axle prime mover - depending on how long the goose neck section is, and there is a variation (all common standards) in king pin diameters - so you will need to measure that diameter.

Oldfulla.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33057 by BruceHoultThomson
Thanks Oldfullah, I've written down what you've said. I'm feeling a bit more hopeful now. Regards, Bruce

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds