Skip to main content

South America

More
13 years 8 months ago #33058 by Tacho
South America was created by Tacho
HI, I have been a spectator to this excellent forum for some time and am a HCVC member. A couple of years ago we went on an Australian Grain magazine group farm tour of South America and I have some pics of trucks.

It seems that VW took over the Chrysler factory in Brazil and continued to produce their products re-badged and later developed their own models. Geoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33059 by
Replied by on topic Re: South America
Welcome to the forum mate I hope those arn't for sale as they little worn out . Dave ;D ;D

More
13 years 8 months ago #33060 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: South America
Another VW as a Prime Mover. This is typical of their transport system, single drive with tri-axle trailer or 4x2 body truck with 8 wheel dog trailer or 12 wheel super dog similar to Europe. Also lazy and pusher axles. The chrome gizmo's on the wheels are a tyre inflation system common on long distance trucks and coaches.

This was fitted to one of our tour coaches. There were two air guages on the dash, one for each side and the driver could change the pressure on the move. Reason given for them was changing road conditions or if they got a puncture then could get to the next town for a fix. Cost for the coach was about US$1,000 or A$1200.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33061 by Tacho
Volvo was the dominant modern brand followed by Scania and a collection of other European ones. Did not see any American trucks.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33062 by Tacho
One of the more modern Mercedes Benz trucks with an interesting extra axle. It had a limited turn turntable with a caster action to track better on turns.

[IMG]http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/mernowie/S outh%20America/IMGP0103.jpg[/img]
Cheer Geoff
Saw plenty of these MB 1418 s but their number was different. Also saw a lot of 'new' ones and found out they have a factory which does nut and bolt strip down, re-condition, re-build, fresh paint and back on the road.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33063 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: South America
Welcome, Tacho, some funky axle arrangements there.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds