Skip to main content

looking for pics...

More
13 years 8 months ago #33315 by prodrive
looking for pics... was created by prodrive
Hi guys (and girls!)
I've found SOMEWHERE on the net, some photos of an old fella called John Ryan, of Geelong. I was talking to him the other day, he told me he has been on the road for 48 years, mostly Melbourne to Adelaide. He drives an old L9000 now, still running twice a week to Adelaide and back...I told him that I'd seen some old photos of his :)older rucks somewhere on the net, he had no idea about this, and for the life of me do you think I can find them again? I'd love to be able to print them out, and show him. He is one of the "living legends" of the road, I just think it would be a nice thing to do...
Has anyone seen any of these pics? They had John Ryan, Geelong, on the doors. I can't exactly remember what sort of truck it was, maybe a G88 or similar? I've looked anywhere I can think to look, eg truckmadpeople, and various places like that, but no can find. So if anyone sees any old trucks with John Ryan, Geelong, on the door, let me know will you?
Thanks!
Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33316 by
Replied by on topic Re: looking for pics...
If hangs out he will get the extra from the GOVT when he retrires or he might not ;D ;D ;D. Dave

More
13 years 8 months ago #33317 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: looking for pics...
G'day Richard, John must be around 70 these days. I worked with his younger brother Dennis when I was doing my mechanics apprenticeship at Browns Motors in Malop street. Dennis was a young spare parts bloke in those days. Browns were BMC dealers back then. John also did a mechanics apprenticeship in Geelong but I can't remember who with. It may have been Harry Day. He did drive a Volvo G88, but I can't remember what he had before that, it may have been a Bedford. I know a bloke who does know & when I see him later this week I'll do an update. Do you know if John is in the RTHOF or not. If not maybe he should be. cya Tim :)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 8 months ago #33318 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: looking for pics...
GDay Tim,
Yes he's an old fella allright! I'd never met him, but I've known of him all my life, being as Geelong is a pretty small place and most people with trucks know everyone. I left my briefcase at at Bordertown last week, and I was wracking my brains how to get it back, as I don't get over there much, Then I thought of John Ryan. I gave him a ring, he was kind enough to grab it for me. I delivered him a carton of Vitamin B for his troubles, he was rapt. Just chatting to him I also thoght that he should be in the RTHOF, but I don't think he is. He mentioned that he wanted to go to "that truck thing that's coming up soon" I said, "oh, in Alice Springs?" he said "No, I haven't got time to go up there, I mean Echuca!"
Not bad for an old fella....48 years on the road. Fair drive I'd say..

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds