Skip to main content

Dreemin out loud

More
13 years 7 months ago #33879 by Rob365
Replied by Rob365 on topic Re: Dreemin out loud
Hi Swishy (and All),

Fantastic idea to showcase how transport/trucking etc has contributed to our society as a whole. I think it'd be better to leave bureaucrats out of it too unless they're willing to give generously (until it hurts!).

Cobba's right. Best it's located as close to a highway as possible just like the Ettamogah Pub etc. Best and cheapest advertising for any special interest venue.

Old Shell road house in West Wyalong main street wouldn't be a bad place to consider either?

There'd be enough brains and expertise in the HCVC to get the concept off the ground. Then getting a suitable site and the bucks together......? Insurance for a museum would present a challenge(???).

If it was a small site, rotate the trucks on display every few months to get repeat visits from the faithful.

Happy to dicuss further....

Cheers

Rob :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #33880 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Dreemin out loud
Bloody good idea Swishy, it would not take anything away from Alice Springs and become a tourist attraction in its own right. If it was handy to Melbourne there would be plenty of people prepared to leave trucks there as long as they could be accessed when needed. The Fire Brigade museum have a lot of trucks in storage without anywhere to display them.
I will put a proposal to the HCVC committee and see what interest there is amongst members. If yes the next step would be to write to councils, tourism authorities etc and see who is keen. More chance of success in the regional victoria because of less red tape and whingers.

More
13 years 7 months ago #33881 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Dreemin out loud
Swishy if nobody had a dream the Alice HOF wouldn't have happened. I'm sure that some Council would be interested if it can drag some $'s into their area especially if it can become a part of a regional tourism program. I can fly a kite in the Riverina area to guage the interest. The Alice is great but I wouldn't want to be dragged by the S&C's :'( there and back. We have the truck show at Lockhart which is popular and there is a lot of trucks here bouts.
Graham

13 years 7 months ago #33882 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dreemin out loud
G'day

When I visited your wonderful country last year I was impressed with the standard of restoration and preservation of Oz transport history.
I made a visit to Parap in Darwin, which was good but a bit cramped for space.
When I got to see the Melbourne Fire Brigade workshops I was blown away by the incredible collection they have, but all covered in tarps to keep the bird crap off the paintwork.
I spoke to several people and after seeing the LinFox Inter in Podges workshop I thought I might have an answer.
I did as I said I would and sent an appeal to Mr Fox, asking if there was any way he would be able to help with some covered space at a one of his airport type sites on the East side of Melbourne.
I can't remember the names of the locations just now, but it all made sense to me, that the owner, being the biggest transport operator in the land, he might be interested in helping the MFB out and opening a proper showplace for the Public to visit.
I did suggest that it should not all be Fire vehicles, to widen the interest.
Well I wasted my time and effort there, as I did not even get a reply.
Maybe its because I'm over here in the UK that he wasn't interested.
Podge knows I was serious, I even had dreams of helping to establish the place and possibly even moving to Oz and working there.
But my dreams were soon forgotten.
Swishy you are not the only one with a dream.
But maybe you are in a better position to achieve success where I failed.
Have another go at Mr Fox, and write with an Oz accent :)
Swish, you could even write in your 'own' language.... he would certainly take notice then !
Well what do you reckon ?
I firmly believe you get bugger-all without asking for it :)
Cheers
RS :)

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 7 months ago #33883 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Dreemin out loud

Thanx guys for join n my dreem
LOL
Wot other states do is OK in my dreem
but here in Victoria
I still think Seymour is centrally located n close to Melbourne
Sure U may find a lump of land or building in Melb but only to B sold or needed else where for the money
As U kno n I kno
They aint make n any more land
LOL

Seymour 1 Hour Nth of Melb, Rural, on main Fwy
Not th@ we wanna B to aligned with any transport co or truck maker
May B Shell etc B OK
even a 99 year lease off the Govt
Not worth while setn up n then they pull the carpet from under U n no where to go
Well th@'z my dreem
But please dreem along with me
all other states can have there V: of the dreem
LOL
me still like the idea of the huge plot of land the Feds own being Pukapunyal Army Grounds
Just a few hundres acres by the Fwy would B a start
LOL

Dreen On
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 7 months ago #33884 by
I'm glad it's all a dream as HCVC have been down trail before and have writen to Mr Fox and with no joy .

Govt land there not keen to give it over to a truck thing and also who is going to man this as we all know it is always left to a few keen peopleand the others always have somthing on when you ask for help.

But hey I have taken note of all the names so there seems there will be plenty of helpers when it comes to the hard work of opening and shuting of it on weekends . Dave ::) ::)

More
13 years 7 months ago #33885 by Intermodel63
Dave don't spoil the dream with all this work stuff ;).
So many have gone down this path over the years and their P & J's have been up for auction over the last two or three. As we all age and the half dozen that do all the work drop off the perch the dream just can't cut it in the real world. If you invest $'s you need a return or fold up otherwise the Fox would have had one on every corner 20 years ago, bit like Maccas. The thing is we as the current custodians need to just support the rallys and shows passing on the dream to the next generations with the hope that they will look back on history and want to keep it. It would be interesting to see a age profile of members of the HCVC forum and Oz vehicle clubs and that may answer the question of how long the dream may last.
Hey Swishy don't stop dreamin mate.
Graham

13 years 7 months ago #33886 by
If the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club or Puffing Billy or all the other groups running museums as they all do considered all the points that Dave brought up. We would have lost many important parts of our heritage.

As very few museums make a profit. Many museums have staffing issues! But they all had one thing in common.

A Dream!!!!

Without a dream nothing like these things will get off the ground.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33887 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Dreemin out loud
as a side note in October the Puffing Billy Preservation Society will have been responsible for train operations for longer than the Victorian Railways. I guess that makes them some sort of success story!

Proves the point that if you dream they may come true

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by bparo.

More
13 years 7 months ago #33888 by Intermodel63
Swishy the dream is still alive and well! Enough people doin the dream and this just might just get a guernsy yet. I remember going to Echuca when it first started & it has had it's ups & downs, was at the opening of Swan Hill still there, Steamfest at Maitland, 3801 steam runs, etc, etc. they all started with a dream.

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds