Skip to main content

Re: Batmobiles..the overnighters

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #40424 by QLD Road Boss
G'day Oz,
No it was not a pig trailer. As far as I know when I left the owner was trying to sell and I don't know what happened after that. Definately painted with that Ansett Overnight freight livery....
:D :D :D
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by QLD Road Boss.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #40425 by Ozfury
No worries mate, I was relief driving an 8 wheeler KW for Comet on the Townsville -Burdekin dam run early 80s and we had this beast of a bogie pig trailer which had more welding than steel in its construction. I heard it went to Brisbane and came adrift from the drawbar near Caloundra causing a nasty crash. Am sure the corrugations on the (then dirt track) Dam road wouldn't have helped it.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209822 by Dave_64
Just seeing that photo of the 8 wheeler reminded me of one of the Bris-Glen Innes relay drivers for Wards. Bobby Hinch. Last I heard of him someone told me he went into the Bris depot office, about the time Maynes took them over.Seen one of theirs bust a crowbar one night, still got me beat how he kept it upright.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 2 weeks 54 minutes ago #245983 by overnite

Ok, let's get specific.

Did the Batmobiles ever run 6 x 4 rigid KW's or did they start up with 8 x 4's?

Did their rigid's run 8V71T's or was that only when they went to semis?

(Certain people may have a bet riding on the answers to these questions!) 8-)

Batmobiles only 8 wheelers never 6,with 8V71T then trailers . 8 wheelers had fuel tanks both sides, not like TNT ghosts. Quicker and handled better than a ghost.
Last edit: 2 weeks 54 minutes ago by Gryphon.

More
2 weeks 7 hours ago - 2 weeks 7 hours ago #251571 by overnite
I realise this is a very old topic, ( RIP Chocs), but if anyone cares to listen to CopySouthbound podcast, Lindsay King is interviewed by Bruce Gunther and all questions re Batmobiles and the Overnighters are probably answered. Interview #56.
Last edit: 2 weeks 7 hours ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds