Skip to main content

Truck pics from Tassie Logging

More
13 years 4 months ago #42386 by pop058
These pics were found on an old PC by a member of the AuLRO (Aus Landrover owners) forum of which I am also a member. The initial post tells the story. Does anyone recognise any pics.

Enjoy

Paul

www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/120366-p...rucks-pic-heavy.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 4 months ago #42387 by Swishy

pop0
gudday M8

noice collection of pix

n not a bad size twig on the ol 'R' model Mack

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 4 months ago #42388 by werkhorse
Recognise any of them..............shit I grew up looking at most of those newer trucks............still see that red CH mack about in the 4 th pic......I think the W/Star in the second pic is a tipper now...owner = Little I think...........Some of those B model pics could be Reynolds.........Geez Brambles haven't been around here in a long time.....hmm wonder if the firewood is a back yard job.....Think the Yellow W/S is Roach..........Ahh the Green fleet only logging fleet I know that has more chrome than a Hwy truck, the blue and purple Peterbilts are still show stoppers.............Talisker....hmmm never heard of them but looking at the front shot of the F model it's got an area 3 cart license so it's gotta be from my area (Launceston and surrounds) maybe Devon Hills quarry............LLoyds..........for runner to LLoyds North ???.......Wanless F model..........gawd I've worked on that a few times many, many moons ago..............Glen Halsalls Superliner and R model.......geez I used to get a ride home from school in the R model when Graeme Barber was driving it.............and it's still going strong as a tipper..............Brambles now known as BIS Brambles Industrial Services based in Bell Bay, well the workshop is, with 4-5 Volvos.........Bloody amazing photossome great history there

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 4 months ago #42389 by IHScout
What a great find.

Dennis

More
13 years 4 months ago #42390 by Colin
popO, nice trucks, buut! it makes my heart bleed to see the distruction of the beautiful forests I grew up with.
When my Dad was a bushman(log feller) the forestry commission would go through the forests and mark the tree that could be used for timber (select felling).
Now they knock everything down and most of the forest is burnt. They don't allow the fire wood getters to even use the left overs. Wind rowed and burnt??
I can't beleive the mess Tasmania is now, it was beautiful and unigue, green and fresh..Now it has thousand of acres of deep scares and a few old white gums for paper pulp.
Nice trucks but.
Colin

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #42391 by
That's a great set of pics to discover by accident. Sort of makes ya wonder what the story was behind the hard drive being discarded. Someone died, and the rellies didn't care about what the deceased owned?
Seems a real shame .. makes ya wonder what else, went up to the tip?? .. :'(

When I worked at the Malaga landfill for a few months in 1997 (yeah, I was desperate for a $ :D ) .. nearly every second day, someone would come in with a big trailer or truck, and start kicking stuff off wholesale .. and it didn't take too many seconds .. even for us dumb landfill machine operators :D .. to realise that were were looking at the contents of someones shed, who had died .. and the rellies or executor of the estate, had just decided to dump everything.

An eBay "collectible" seller would have had a field day. These people just so obviously, walked into someones shed, and loaded the whole lot up, and took it all to the tip.

It was amazing to see the stuff that people dumped. One of the other workers was a real scavenger and would collect a lot of stuff that looked good.
I'd only collect valuable stuff ;) .. like complete truck wheels with near-new tyres .. nearly-full gas bottles .. electric motors .. aluminium extrusions that yield you a $1 a metre for scrap .. and so on, and so on.

Re the pics .. I can identify all the crawler tractors as Allis-Chalmers machines. The first yellow dozer (1st pic) is a HD-16 built from about 1960-1969.
It's likely this tractor is about a 1960 model, because it doesn't have the A-C "football" decal on the battery boxes. The new A-C "football" decal appeared about 1961.

The original A-C dozer colour was Persian Orange, and then about 1961, A-C went over to Construction Yellow for their construction line of equipment.
For a time, around about 1960-62, buyers could order either colour. After 1962, Construction Yellow became the standard colour.

The dozer flipped on its side (THAT would have been some ride!), is an early Persian Orange HD-16, built from 1955 to 1958. This tractor has an 844 cu in Buda motor, with Lanova "energy cell" fuel injection.
This same Persian Orange tractor appears in pic numbers 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 24, 25, 30 and 48.

The Yellow HD-16 has an A-C "16000 series", motor .. this was the Buda motor redesigned, and upgraded with a totally new head, direct fuel injection, and fitted with a Roosamaster rotary fuel injection pump.

The tractor in picture 31 (the pic with the two damaged areas) is a very early Allis-Chalmers HD-15, fitted with a GM 6-71, and built between 1950 and 1955.

After GM bought Euclid in Sept 1953, A-C got pi$$ed-off about GM getting into the earthmoving/construction equipment scene, in a big way.
Up until then, A-C was a big client of GM, and put Screemers into all their tractors.
Once GM bought Euclid .. A-C promptly turned around and bought the Buda Engine Company (Nov. 1953) .. ceased using GM diesels, totally, in A-C products within 18 mths .. and started using Buda engines.

The HD-15 got its 6-71 replaced with the D-844 Buda in 1955, and it became the HD-16. There were other design/engineering upgrades at the same time, such as improved undercarriage, and hydraulically-operated steeering clutches and brakes.

The Budas were a great engine, but the Lanova "energy cell" combustion system was being left for dead .. because developments in engine design were making direct injection a superior injection system.
Buda had been in business since 1881, had produced their first petrol engine in 1910, and their first diesel engine in 1926. They were a very popular industrial and marine engine, and many are still in use today, in boats.

The Lanova injection system was really only good for about 1800 RPM (although A-C did get some Budas cranked up to 2000 RPM) .. and it was a noisy, rattley, injection system.
The new direct injection engines were much more efficient, quieter, smoother, and could run a lot faster.

As a result, after buying Buda, A-C promptly set to, and redesigned all the Buda engines into A-C direct injection engines, and made them an even better engine again.
By the early 1960's, there were no longer any original Budas being produced, they were all A-C engines.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #42392 by werkhorse

popO, nice trucks, buut! it makes my heart bleed to see the distruction of the beautiful forests I grew up with.

What part of this wonderful state was that ???

When my Dad was a bushman(log feller) the forestry commission would go through the forests and mark the tree that could be used for timber (select felling).

That is what they do know days except for pine forests or hardwood plantations which are planted with the idea to clearfell, the only thing they haven't learnt is to move them back away from the major highways where every greenie in the world can see them :-?

Now they knock everything down and most of the forest is burnt.

see above comment.......and the burning actually helps to regenetate the seeds that are scattered about the ground and adds certain elements back into the ground.

They don't allow the fire wood getters to even use the left overs. Wind rowed and burnt??

Why not let everyone in to collect their own firewood??? .......simple.......who are they going to sue when someone gets hurt or a vehicle gets damaged, Also there are they few people who go in and ruin it for everyone else by not doing the right thing. :'(

I can't beleive the mess Tasmania is now, it was beautiful and unigue, green and fresh..

Just had a look out my window.........still looks ok to me :-?

Now it has thousand of acres of deep scares and a few old white gums for paper pulp.

Can someone go outside and move those low hanging branches so I can see the destruction........white gums burn well in the fire place too ya know :-/

Nice trucks but.
Colin

Not a truer word has been said in this thread 8-)

Both of my heads are proud to be Tasmanian 8-) 8-)

Edit: Yes my father was a logger too he worked around the north here back in the late 60's early 70's for the Chugg family (my grand mother was a Chugg) out at White hills, he mainly worked inside an area bordered by Launceston, Scottsdale, Ben Nevis and Ben Lomond. Back in the days when the logs were hand barked, skiddered out and loaded by dozer onto single axles with single jinkers.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by werkhorse.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42393 by bigcam
They are a great set of photo's, someone has gone to a lot of trouble scanning them.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42394 by truckin-des
Settle "Werhorse", in an old phrase --- they know not what they do --- in this instance , they know not what they say !!!

Trunkin on.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #42395 by camma
Welcome to the forum.
Just keep them pix comming.
Thanks for spending the time and effort putting up the pics.

Please help me. I need Commer Parts
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by camma.

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds