Skip to main content

Tropical Cyclone Yasi

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44421 by Rusty Engines
Rusty I hope your not in the flood area
I'm about 18ks inland and 23m above sea level

Just heard on the 3.00pm 1/2/2011 news that the cyclone is going to hit near Cairns as a high category 4, Townsville as a category 2, Mackay as a category 1
Cairns to Mackay 744ks that is one big mother of a cyclone
It is also said that Mareeba and Atherton 60ks inland of Cairns the cyclone still will be a category 3/2, those two towns have never had a cyclone and none of the buildings are built to take a Cyclone
There is going to be some interesting times ahead with the potential to make the Brisbane floods look like child
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Rusty Engines.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #44422 by Fuller-Vit
Glad to hear you are above the surge level.
We are about 15 meters above sea level. yep your right, this is the mother of all cyclones. will still be a cat 3 well inland.

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

More
13 years 3 months ago #44423 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi
Watch the price of produce go up if the north gets taken out. Queensland will have to rely on southern markets totally and there has to come a time when it runs short.

13 years 3 months ago #44424 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi
Rusty Engines - Makes a lot of sense to me, after what happened with Wivenhoe.

There is a current BOM projection, that when Yasi turns into a depression over land, it will go all the way to South of Ayers Rock by Monday, dropping buckets of water along the way.

www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml (click on forward button to animate)

This is the current situation .. www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

More
13 years 3 months ago #44425 by Fuller-Vit
One track,
Mate take a butchers at this site. Its a forecast model from BOM
www.bom.gov.au/jsp/marine/wind/index.jsp
Click on 3 to 5 days radio button then just to the right of that it says later or earlier. click on the later button a few times and it will show you the forecast path for the son of a Butch.
Shows the NT coppin it too and then down into SA.

More
13 years 3 months ago #44426 by Adrian
Replied by Adrian on topic Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi
To all far north(ern) folk, batten down the hatches, and our thoughts are with you. You QLD guys have been through enough crap this year already! And it's only just February!
Adrian

More
13 years 3 months ago #44427 by Fuller-Vit
Cheers Adrian and thanks for your kind wishes
:)

More
13 years 3 months ago #44428 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi
A cyclone this size will hammer the bejazzuz out of Queensland, and carry on walking right across to the NT. It will reduce in size as it travels inland, and will strengthen again in the Gulf if it slips far enough north. It'll then travel across WA and reform again out the other side.

Keep your heads down guys, and remember we're on your side! :-?

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
13 years 3 months ago #44429 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi
Category 5 this morning, Fuller-Vit hope you are somewhere sound that will take a beating this thing is just nasty mate.
We are feeling its effects here at the moment with a bit of wind and really heavy on/off rain, town is deserted. I am listening to Bruce in Cairns now on Triple J and he is saying bit of sun not much wind etc........calm before the storm.

I think Rusty would be feeling more wind and rain than me but.

Take care gents ;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

More
13 years 3 months ago #44430 by Fuller-Vit
Mornin Dan.
Yes I have just evacuated the my missus and 95 yo mother inlaw to the stockland shopping centre. I will be joinin the soon. Just doin the last minute things. Dan radio AM 846 is available online and will give the best and most up to date coverage.
www.4cafm.com.au/
Dan , Rusty and anyone else up here, please keep yer heads down, no heroics and all the very best.
Hope to be back on line in the near future.
Cheers
Big Al

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds