Skip to main content

Bogie drive two speed diffs

More
12 years 5 months ago #67248 by oldfulla
All

Does anyone remember what model trucks that used 2 speed Eaton diffs in their bogie drive options.

The ones I'm talking about were set up in a fashion that it was recommended (by the manafacturer) to split the diffs separatly so as to gain 3 different diff ratios.

I recall such beasts - where the 'diff changing' instructions (plate on dash) engouraged the following process.

Set both diffs in low range, move off and then change one into high range, and then the other up to high. Do a stick shift, and drop both back to low range - and repeat the above process.

I think the vehicle I saw this in was an IH Loadstar.

Anyone else remember these?

Oldfulla :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67249 by hayseed
G'Day Oldfulla,
mate I can remember as a kid at the local wheat silo. Where everyone was standing 'round a (then) new bedford :-? And everyone was talking 'bout the 2speed bogie drive. 8-)

That's the only one I've ever seen........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 5 months ago #67250 by atkipete
Have heard of this setup but never seen one. You would presumably have two red buttons on the stick.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67251 by ronhorse
The only bogie drives with two 2 speed Eaton diffs that I have seen were in the Ford Thorntons used on the Murranji Track in the 40's-50's

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
12 years 5 months ago #67252 by bigcam
Pete, I've never actually seen one, but I've seen an ad for one in an old commercial car magazine. The shift knob was like a 13 speed knob and was air.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67253 by The Learner
clicky click click click

i believe the swish may be able to enlighten us on this topic ;)

You learn something new every day

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 5 months ago #67254 by Swishy

Ok
YES I have air operated 2 speed in the SAR
Tiz a set n 4 get
Reason: When we ordered the beast way back when the KW mob were not happy with the 2 speed diff set up coz they had a few failures with trucks on road train work, mainly from shiftn the 2 speed on the run ( one diff would change the other wouldn't) so we suggested to mount the switch outside the cab n th@'z where it tiz 2day

the 3 speed I've never seen but heard about twaz a tandem drive 2speed diff with the diffs either in low or high or intermediate by runn n one diff in hi n the other in low where by the interaxle diff would really do n a lot of work in splitn the 2 speeds, the controls were like the RR13 speed jamtin top with 3 positions.
Me thinks they were an option on trucks from the 60's for short wheelbase beasts as 2 stik cogboxes were to long
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 5 months ago #67255 by hayseed
From what I can remember,
The bedford had just one red button on the gearstick. You drove it just like any other two speed Diff.

Completely different animal to the Dual range eatons that Swishy has!!!!
Like swishy said they're set & forget......

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 5 months ago #67256 by olddon
Back in the late 60''s I drove a Commer Knocker that had an Eaton two speed set up on a bogie drive,and it seemed to work ok.They were No4's from memory

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #67257 by Dodge fred
Air change 3 speed
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Dodge fred.

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds