Skip to main content

tri axle c1600 international????

More
12 years 3 months ago #73644 by oldfulla
What ever he was doing with it was premeditated - because the body cross members are spaced to accom all 3 axles. And it looks (to me) like a 'factory' built body too.

Also - the tie rail is only bent over each axle. Done due to tyre rubbing (when screwing around) OR some series load securing only over the rear suspension area.

And there is nothing more I hate - is an operator tieing off mid cross member - rather than using the 'no give' area around the end of a cross member.

Oldfulla - sharing an opinion. :D ::) :'(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73645 by v8 inter nut
i will try and find out more info on it for everyone that is interested. all i was told is that it was used to haul a tractor and baler at the same time. it has a v8 (345 i presume) and 2 speed diff. im waiting to her back from the owner about buying it might be a good conversation starter or money pit!

More
12 years 3 months ago #73646 by bigcam
In the days when that modification was probobly done, axle ratings and GVM's wern't used as the "Bible". They used to go on what weight you could get on an axle, which is why they had "silly wheels" like this one has behind the lazy. They also used to fit pusher axles and lazy's with no regard to the manufacturers GVM. The truck is just a reminder of days gone by, looks pretty impressive though.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73647 by jeffo
In the pre-computer days no-one checked GCW or GCV, axle load was the only thing monitored.
Check out these Bedfords, 6-cylinder petrol, vacuum brakes, un-braked dolly and yet still grossing at 28t.
Hayden Kenny (Grant's dad) steered these for a while back in the 60's.
[IMG

More
12 years 3 months ago #73648 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
I do not of course know the story of that truck with the 3rd axle, but note that since it is chained up, and has 8 studs whilst the fixed forward lazy has 6, so would have had to have different spares on board it fixed to the truck. It may not be for what we think it is. just a thought...
Might not be used to hold extra weight under the rear tray despite the bent rails for the wheels.
What if they had it as a simple trailer axle hung thgere and when they wanted to carry long objects they chained it to a long object hung out the rear. Like a Jinker. Would have to be chained pretty tight though to stay straight on the road. I have done this with a 12.5m I beam once.

Kind Regards

More
12 years 3 months ago #73649 by bigcam
Nice old movie's Jeffo, what is the story behind this one?
[IMG

More
12 years 3 months ago #73650 by jeffo
8mm home movies are poor quality, I threw them on the fridge and just used the camcorder so they're a bit skewed as well. Have to do them properly one day.
Sugar truck crashes in Dad's time as fleet manager, only 2-sugar spills in a zillion miles.
The AEC driver was Roy Smith, tractor driver was Stewey Tallon.
Stewey was driving in front of his farm and did a turn right in front of the truck, couldn't hear it over the tractor's engine noise. He'd had a look a few minutes earlier but doesn't take long to catch up at truck speed.
Stewey copped it all on his right leg, smashed him up dreadfully as can be seen from the broken tractor.
Months in hospital and he walked out, very lucky man.
Bundy residents would remember him in later years wearing his pith helmet, always stood outside the Comm Bank. Don't know what that was about but I believe they named the new traffic bridge after him.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73651 by bigcam
Good to hear it was a happy ending mate, doesn't look flash in the pictures.

More
10 years 10 months ago #73652 by v8 inter nut
Been awhile but i Went back out today and put the wheels back on it, got it to wind over and the decision was made that its to good to scrap for parts and will be an interesting truck to take to a show 1 day so it's coming back to the shed for a bit of a tidy up and try and get it to fire up again
Some more pics
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
10 years 10 months ago #73653 by waynestr
Jeffo ,thanks for the excellent clips. Would have been good to hear the sound of the Knockers in full flight.

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds