Skip to main content

An Inter Perkins Question

More
15 years 4 months ago #6500 by Sarge
A question to muse about over christmas dinner
My 1969 ACCO was retro fitted with a perkins engine 30 odd years ago, it seems to be a genuine truck engine with the extended oil filler and dip stick etc.

According to the operators handbook the engine number should be on the crankcase right upper side.
It is actually on the left beside the injector pump near the front.

The engine is numbered in standard registration style format. 345U.......

The info SWISHY posted a couple of weeks ago seems to be too new for my old girl as the letter U would mean the engine was something it is not.

Any clues??? perhaps the hand book is wrong???
I am only asking to find out if there is something to find out.

And along the way I learned to date windscreen glass which also helps to date my truck . you count the hands on the little clock face symbol.

Merry Christmas to you all.
[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #6501 by kennymopar2
perkins engine numbers can be muddled up .. when i sold my leyland mastiff (factory fitted 540ci V8 perkins) the new owner had to blue slip the truck for rego ..himself or the RTA couldnt find a engine number anywhere so they gave him some numbers to stamp onto the block

More
15 years 4 months ago #6502 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: An Inter Perkins Question
Hi Kenny, I am familiar with that process, here in victoria they were given a V....P number or now a Vicroads number which identifies them as being given a non factory but fully traceable number.

Because mine is a 6.354 the number is factory prefixed 354U....
the u will mean something like factory made or year made or something I assume.

Thamks, Sarge.... :-X

Not much activity tonight, you while boys are all watching Victoria's Secret. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Sarge B)

More
15 years 4 months ago #6503 by GM Diesel
Maybe this might help with the locations for Perk serial numbers.

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 4 months ago #6504 by atkipete
Happy Christmas Sarge,
Basically anywhere they decide to put it seems like. The U may stand for UK built as I think Perkins motors were also made in other countries.
I met up with your man Bob at Midland truck wreckers last weekend and he was a great help to us. Ray Jay McNae (proud owner of the AACO172 on the front of my book ) had bought himself a RP cab Atki and we went up to Echuca to sort it out and get him on his way back to Queensland.
Cheers Pete

More
15 years 4 months ago #6505 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: An Inter Perkins Question
Swishy, the diagram was spot on, which means the owners manual is probably a typo.

Pete, I am glad Bob (& keith) was of some assistance, I have found Bob to be a great source of detail information, but I think the best way to deal with his pricing scheme is not to ask, just offer a fair price. Otherwise he is scary. :-[

Now where are the pic of the Atki... or will it be in ACC

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)

More
15 years 4 months ago #6506 by atkipete
They were both a great help and will take your advice re pricing. I dont have photobucket but will email you a few of my photos that you are welcome to post.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6507 by Inta ACCOs
I've given up trying to find the serial on my dot 4, I've researched all the information available. My last hope is next time when I remove the oil filters.

15 years 3 months ago #6508 by
Replied by on topic Re: An Inter Perkins Question
The early Perkins engine numbers weren't as organised as the later ones. In 1974, Perkins had a re-organisation of numbering .. and again in 1978. The "U" in the early (Dot 1) 6-354 definitely indicates a U.K.-built motor. The "butterbox" ACCO's were easily converted to Perkins, and good used Perkins automotive engines were always available. I converted a '70 ACC0 DF-1840 from 345 petrol to a Perkins, back about 1990, and it was a piece of cake. This truck had been an RAAF fuel tanker prime mover, and it had done about 16,000 miles (yes, miles! - the speedo had never been converted) when I bought it. I set it up as a tray-top service truck, and it was sold in 1993 to a farmer down Munglinup way.
Previously, when I was young and keen, I owned a '68 ACCO DF-1840 tandem tipper, with a factory 6-354. This had been a Shire truck when new, and I bought it from the dealer when it was traded. I put about 80K miles on it .. and that's hard miles in an early butterbox .. particularly when you're jumping in and out of that mongrel cab 100 times a day (no remote air-operated tailgates back then!!) :)
They were a good ole truck .. but remember to do your rear wheel bearings every 70,000-80,000kms. Those old 34,000lb Eaton back ends are just strong enough, and that's all. I'd pull the wheels right on every 40,000 miles, and find the bearings just starting to Brinell. They were buggers for snapping spindles too, if ya overloaded. Verriers Engineering owners in Perth retired comfortably on the proceeds of repairing Eaton ACCO axles .. ;D

Here's all the Perkins engine S/N info you ever need to know ..

www.jtservicesinc.com/pdf/Engine_Number_Guide_English4.pdf

More
13 years 8 months ago #6509 by lochfoyle
Sarge

do you still have the red butterbox acco in your photo?
I am looking for a c1800 to replace one we burn't and if you are interested in selling yours please let me know
cheers
lochfoyle

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds