Skip to main content

detroit startup,

More
11 years 8 months ago #92802 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: detroit startup,
it still pays to be prepared for the worst. i was about to fire up my white 8V71 , been sitting for 4 years, pulled the covers off , yep 2 stuck injectors, pulled them out ,pulled them apart freed them up real good, put it all back together, everything looked all good 8-)
fired her up :-? straight to FULL NOISE :o :o :o well no pulling back on the racks was helping , so down with the emergecy flap.
what had happened was that another 2 injectors that were moving just fine had siezed up in the full injection position . so it would pay to be on the ready.

sparks if you got a 471 and you dont realy care for it , i am in the market for one ....cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92803 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: detroit startup,
sorry melon,
i used to play around with 6v53's,but I'm not getting any younger and am ready for a serious relationship now,
so I'm getting married to 471 detroits.
gunna use em in all my toys.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92804 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: detroit startup,
Sparks, I'd be a little carefull about putting aerostart anywhere near it.
Like everyone is saying, make sure the rack is free, and I usually take the intake horm off so it is a flat surface and have a truck mudflap handy just in case. I must say, I've never had to use it yet, but it is a bit of piece of mind.
If you've got any spare 6V53's I've got what is supposed to be a real good 4/71 and I'm more into the 6V53's if you'd like a trade.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92805 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: detroit startup,
Ahhmm,ahhmm,errr,it's like this,
umm,the camera batteries were flat when I got to use it at site.never thought to check them.
nowhere to get batteries at site cause is in a paddock behind a disused pig farm.

anyway,after much quizzing and cross referencing of vendor I discovered that the truck has only been standing at site for 3 years ,having been driven to there.
so I checked all fluids.took off rocker cover and operated rack control and found all racks go in and out all the way.also found clean oil thick on all rocker gea
took off air cleaner pipe and had thick neoprene sheet at the ready.
connected up two batteries.
climbed into cab and turned key briefly to see if motor was free.
discovered that ignition switch is phuqd and only makes a brief momentary contact,ie about a tenbth of a second.
But this was enough to get one piston to the top and she quietly idled at a very steady purr.
all that freaking out for nothing.
this truck on further inspection is a permatrack km bedford.
it is a tilt km cab with permatrack plates in the cab,471,10 speed rr,eaton #4 2 speed ,transpec trailing axle,all new wiring,all new brake and air lines,rebuilt brakes,rebuilt steering etc.
I have a 24 foot tray for her.the cab is rotten and beyond repair but i have a spare km cab.
when i get her home in a few weeks i'll put some batteries in the camera and post pix.

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds