Skip to main content

detroit startup,

More
11 years 8 months ago #92792 by sparks
detroit startup, was created by sparks
howdy folks,
I've been away for a while but am back in cyberspace now.
had a little Idea! maybe a good one , maybe not.
here it is anyway....
In the very near future I am going to start up a 471 detroit that was rebuilt ,did 500km and was then parked up for 5 years.
my idea of going about this would be to take out the injectors ,put some wd40 down the cylinders,leave it for a cupla weeks,then wind her over slowly with injectors out to get up some oil pressure etc,then put injectors back in and give her a kick in the guts.
but knowing that the injectors maybe stuck on hard,have a co2 fire extinguisher on hand to fire into the blower if she screams.
does this sound feasible ????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #92793 by
Replied by on topic Re: detroit startup,
g'day sparks .. the injectors should all be free in operation as one bad one will bugger the whole thing....they operate from the rack , which in turn is operated from the governor, and if one seizes the whole lot go out on strike in sympathy....

More
11 years 8 months ago #92794 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: detroit startup,
or if blower seals are stuffed and she sucks engine oil.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #92795 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: detroit startup,
Gday Sparks..
Does it turn over by hand now?
If so, i would not rush into pulling injectors out.
I would remove the rocker cover and make sure all of the injector racks were operating freely.
Operate the throttle lever on the governor box while looking at each injector.
You could prime the oil using a small pump connected to a gallery, perhaps where the oil pressure switch is located.
You could wind the engine over with no fuel for a minute of two..
Then connect some fuel..
Always a good idea to ensure the safety flap is not only fitted to the air intake adapter but also operational.
Personally, i would have the intake hose / pipe off and a large mudflap in stock ready to close over the intake should it decide to make a gallop..
If you are unfamiliar with Detroits, it may be good to have someone look over it before you fire it up..

Good luck with it

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 8 months ago #92796 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: detroit startup,

Sparks
M80

5 years aint long to B sitn

Eye aint no x pert
but just cut to the chase
giver her sum laffin gas (Aerostart) a wiff n away it should go....make sure u got a solid flat surface to cut the air intake ..just cover the inlet when its horizontal
az in the top of an aircleaner etc

U could also do wot u sed
but u could also spend days n $$$$$

n receive the same result

n Remember...........If U aint screeemin.............u're only dreeeeemin!

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 8 months ago #92797 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: detroit startup,
Hey sparks ... how about videoing the start-up? Just to show us it all went OK of course! :) :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 8 months ago #92798 by Sunshine
Replied by Sunshine on topic Re: detroit startup,
Hi Sparks,
One way to check that the injectors are not stuck is to remove the rockercover and on the end of the head where the governor is attached you will see a small rod coming through, bends upward and is attached to the rack tube, just remove the pin that attaches the rod to the rack tube to see if it is free, if you can move the rack tube back and forward you it is free, you will see the four racks move in and out of each injector, this is how I check for a stuck injector
Sunshine

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #92799 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: detroit startup,
There's few videos on youtube worth looking at so you know what to expect if she does get away! :D ;D
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by jimbo51.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92800 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: detroit startup,
ok
when the time comes i'll video it .whether it is good or bad you guys'll get some entertainment.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92801 by 69 white
Replied by 69 white on topic Re: detroit startup,
hay there i got a 671 that was sittin for 20 years in my ol white it had 2 stuck injectors in the off poss , removed them from the rack turnd her over in the off poss to get oil up ,then fired her up on 4 and with in 1 1/2 turns away she went and humed like a dream sweet as a nut , had to replace the 2 stuck injectors and all 6 are on the go , allso have a 353 in a towmotor fork that sat for 10 years ,stuck a new battery in and within 1 turn away she went and purd like a kittin so dont be to stressed about kickin her in the guts just make shaw that you have no stuck injectors ans oil up and all should be good , cheers the best of luck

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds