Skip to main content

Info on Dodge AT4/D5Ns & Inter C-Series...?

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #8281 by RJ
Hi all...

I happened across your forum while trawling the net for info on Dodge/Inter light trucks. I've had a few project cars over the years, but know very little about these trucks, so I'm trying to do a bit of research before getting too carried away.

I'm looking for something that could be used as a weekend driver and on occasions tow a race car. Rather than buy a Landcruiser or similar 4WD, I'm toying with the idea of a restoring a classic truck/ute. :)

Ideally, it'd be something that can be driven on a car license. Given the time and money invested in the race car, I'd definitely be looking at upgrading brakes, front end, etc. Also, with the distances we would need to cover, no doubt I'll need to look at changing diff ratio and/or wheel diameter to cover highway miles at a reasonable clip.

I'm also keen to pick up a few tips on common problems to look for, rust spots, what parts are hard to find, etc. I know early Holdens well, but these rigs are new to me.

So, are there any Dodge AT4/D5N or Inter C-Series aficionados out there who can help me out? Alternatively, if there's something else you reckon I should consider - please feel free to offer up some suggestions! I've thought about Ford F trucks and Chev C10/20/30s but there are lots of them around and they're asking big $$$ for 'em, so they're not on my short list at the moment.

Thanks....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 2 weeks ago #8282 by
HI RJ WELCOME TO THE FORUM, I THINK YOU SHOULD LOOK AT EITHER A "J" MODEL BEDFORD OR A "TK" BEDFORD PLENTY OF THESE AROUND AND PARTS ARE EASY TO GET.

YOUR ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS YOU MIGHT HAVE IS THE WEIGHT OF THE RACE CAR AND A SMALL TRUCK MIGHT MEAN YOU HAVE GET A LIGHT TRUCK LICENCE BUT THAT IS EASY . DAVE :)

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #8283 by kennymopar2
gooday mate ..ive had a few inters & dodges ..personaly the choice of the engines is the dodge 318 ..you can get the inters in 4wd if thats what you prefer ..my pick of the bunch would be a dodge D5N they give a good ride and from 75 onwards come with factory electronic ignition ..any questions just ask ..parts are mostly easy to find as in there day they were a top selling truck

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #8284 by bparo
Inter bits are common too as they used the same bits for decades although the Inter V8s liked a drink. There are plenty of 281/282 6-cylinder motors that offer almost the same performance without the fuel bill (but V8's always sound better)

Either of the dodge/inters small enough to only need a car licence but heavy enough to carry your 2 or so tonne of race car and spares is likely to be an 80 km/h cruise unless you change the diff/tyres.

As an indication JBlair's AB150 runs close to the same diff ratio as min in high (around 6.45-6.63) but mine runs 8.25-20 tyres to his 7.5-20. this translates to about 10 km/h cruising speed advantage over his (90 km/h v 80 km/h).

My advice is to look at both and buy the best example you can afford. Also before you buy make sure you know the weights of the race care and fuel, spares and tools you carry. If the whole lot is over 4.5 tonne you will need to update your licence (even if you put some of it on a trailer)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by bparo.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #8285 by kennymopar2
with some of the inters & dodges ..if you have the 16" or 17" wheels & they are five stud they can be upgraded to the factory 20" wheels ..usually with 750 or 825 tyres ..obviously this uprates the "cruising" speed somewhat

More
14 years 10 months ago #8286 by RJ
Hi folks,

A few weeks ago I joined this forum to find out a bit more about Dodge/Inter light trucks. Thanks to those of you who replied to my initial post by the way!

To recap, I'm looking for a vehicle to tow a race car and rather than buy a second hand 4WD, I'd rather restore a classic ute/truck. After trawling the net and checking out a few trucks, I've narrowed the search down to a Dodge D5N 200/300 or the equivalent Inter.

A previous post on this forum provided some good info on the AT4 Dodge trucks and what the model codes mean - i.e. AT4 = Aust Truck, while the 114/119/229 refer to the tonnage and wheelbase length. Can anyone tell me where I can find the equivalent info for the D5N and for the International models?

Ideally I'd like a 70's model twin cab, but I gather it'll be near impossible to find a good example for a reasonable price! At the end of the day, if I can find something with a sound body (minimal rust) for a reasonable price - I'll be happy. So, any leads you may have on trucks in Victoria would be appreciated !!

Thanks...

RJ.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds