Skip to main content

Melbourne Fire Museum

More
14 years 5 months ago #9307 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Melbourne Fire Museum
whats with all the planks and gear - all they had to do was lift her up with the stabiliser jacks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #9308 by
Replied by on topic Re: Melbourne Fire Museum
Good Question Mammoth.

Those legs have an enormous range and capacity.

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 5 months ago #9309 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Melbourne Fire Museum
Glenn, can you give us an update on the fire we heard about at the museum. We did hear that the trucks were only smoke damaged.
Ray

More
14 years 2 months ago #9310 by Com 35
Replied by Com 35 on topic Re: Melbourne Fire Museum

Glenn, can you give us an update on the fire we heard about at the museum. We did hear that the trucks were only smoke damaged.
Ray

Ray / All,

The fire was deliberately lit. The "person" who lit the fire has not yet been found.

Thanks to the good work of some security guards and Steamrail volunteers who were on site at the time, the alarm was raised as the fire was taking hold and the MFB was quickly on scene and soon had the fire out.

The fire was contained to a brick room used to store oil and other flammable liquids. The fire burnt through a timber door and then travelled out and up before venting through fibreglass wall sheets, then extending up into the saw tooth roof area.

A section of the roof with fibreglass sheeting was soon gone thus creating a natural chimney. This helped reduce the spread of fire further out into the works area.

The fire was confined mainly to the oil store room with some damage to timbers on the wall and roof and some tools on nearby work benches. There was also some smoke and water damage to the surrounding area.

No appliances or historical equipment were damaged by the fire, with the exception of a small amount of scorching on a vintage Ambulance currently under restoration.

However, some smoke and soot from the fire did settle on the tarps covering the trucks.

Repairs to the building are being arranged with the building owner.

A very close call.

Glenn Cumming
Secretary - FSMV

Com 35 is on scene.

14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #9311 by
Replied by on topic Re: Melbourne Fire Museum
G'Day Glenn

I am pleased that the damage was not too bad, and I hope the culprit is caught.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and meeting Doug and Barry.

Cheers
RS :)

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds