Skip to main content

Old Albury truckies

More
10 years 5 months ago #128742 by thomas humber
Looking for photos, specifically H.R.Hanel Interstate Transport's International trucks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #128743 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
At one time Dick Hanel and Aub Shelton had the biggest fleet of 90s in the country.
In my time living in Albury I watched Hanels Progress from White Superpowers to both L and R 190s,then had a few Butterboxes with 185 Cummins power before he sold out to I think Mayne Nickless(IDSTBC).
Hanels had a very large workshops and was constantly rebuilding 90s to keep the fleet numbers up.
They had an almost entire fleet of Inters,with only a smattering of other brands.
One I remember was the car carriers.A Bedford with a 400 leyland power bought new from Preston Motors in Albury.(Can't remember the drivers name).
This has helped start the thread,come on you Alburyites I have not lived there for 30 years.More feedback from those who can still remember :-/ :-/ :-/ :D :D

More
9 years 3 days ago #128744 by PEAT
Replied by PEAT on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
My dad (Kevin Healy) did some subbing for Hanels in the 60's withe his Leyland Beaver....He mentioned how fast the Inters were compared to his truck

Here's a few Photo's and I think in one you can see an Intenational in the yard.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 2 days ago #128745 by mactaylor
Replied by mactaylor on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
I drink with a bloke named brian rolf who has been around a while! Ill ask what photos he has.

More
9 years 1 day ago #128746 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
That Leyland has a forward axle and short door which makes it a Comet. Little wonder it was slow as the Comets only had a 350 or 400 motor, whereas the Beaver had either the 600 or 680. Was typical practice back then to give to give a man's job for a boy to do and then winge that the pommy trucks weren't up to the job.

9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #128747 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
..weren't the cabover set forward axle jobs a Beaver?....with the comet being the low HP job with the standard set back axle?...the cabover pictured has a set back axle...

More
9 years 1 day ago #128748 by PEAT

That Leyland has a forward axle and short door which makes it a Comet. Little wonder it was slow as the Comets only had a 350 or 400 motor, whereas the Beaver had either the 600 or 680. Was typical practice back then to give to give a man's job for a boy to do and then winge that the pommy trucks weren't up to the job.

I think your right it is a Comet.....Dad did mention that on the odd occasion he would beat the Inters to Sydney as the blokes driving would be stopping a lot.....would have been rare though given the power of the Leyland ;D

More
9 years 1 day ago #128749 by PEAT
My dad was came from Tallangatta and had a few English trucks over the years....Here's a few of his trucks that came after the Comet....

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

These three Photo's show the day he lost the back axle while spreading super and also the day the front stub axle snapped while he was coming home for lunch...

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 1 day ago #128750 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
Some great photo's there PEAT thanks for taking the time to share them with us

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 1 day ago #128751 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Old Albury truckies
As Mrsmack said great photos,
I've delivered a fair bit of hay to Tallangatta over the years, It's a very Picturesque part of the country..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds