Skip to main content

You needed a start with something

10 years 3 months ago #135171 by
David I'm no expert on Inters but I would say if it was a for example a 30 cwt I think it would have single wheels on the rear.
But as Colin has pointed out it could be a 60 cwt if I think is about 4 ton carrying wht.

I know that all bedfords that have 30 cwt are single rear wheels. Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135172 by Mairjimmy
Don't know if this will help on the D30 weight issue

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135173 by wouldyou
That's interesting Colin,
Wonder what rated capacity really means.
At 5500 lbs all up = 2.4 tons, guess it would weigh 1 1/2 tons so not much payload, another ton with heavier springs. They were made to do more, the Wubin mail contractor to the outback stations had one with a 20 ft semi trailer, must have been a long wheelbase as it had a tray behind the cab to carry 44 gallon drums. In 1938 loads of up to 10 tons. David.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by wouldyou.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135174 by Mairjimmy
The D30 pictured on page one I think there is 31 bales on it and at a average of 330 LBS ? is 4:56 ton +2:5 ton tare = 7:06 ton x 2240 LBS = 15814 LBS twice the stated carrying capacity, Rated capacity 1 1/2 ton [30 CWT] :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/Just load her up ;) ;) David on the sale information I have here there was 3 wheel base stated.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135175 by 14B-Beaver
Mairjimmy,

Below is the front cover of a sales brochure showing the first of the OHV Engines in the F Series trucks. That cab, would put it, at the last part of 1955 or early 1956.

[IMG

More
10 years 3 months ago #135176 by prodrive
Keep em coming, boys. I was looking out for some of Ronhorse's pics, the other ones reminded me of his! And good on ya Ron, ya didn't disappoint..
Keep finding those oldies, you blokes, well done.
Cheers
Richard

More
10 years 3 months ago #135177 by spinnerboy
Beaver is correct--the OHV V8 was (in Australia) first in 1955, 272ci in cars and light trucks, 292ci in bigger trucks. The twin headlight model ran 1958/59. There was the 312ci "Thunderbird" engine but not sure if that ever migrated into the trucks.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135178 by JollyGreenSlugg
Thanks for the posts, folks.

I'm fascinated by stories of the blokes who got started with disposals trucks after WW2, and enjoy reading the stories. To read just how hard these blokes worked, with very few of the comforts that we're used to, using vehicles built to help win wars, it's really interesting.

Having started on my ex-military Inter K5, the bug has bitten. That with hearing the stories that my father-in-law tells me of driving trucks from the 50s to recent times further fascinates me. I watch these forums with interest.

Cheers,
Matt

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135179 by oldgmc
They were still doing it in 1970 32 bales going to Dalgeties in Melbourne from Wederburn in central Victoria at 35 to 40 mph 1952 GMC 9600
=http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/Downunder15/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo0013_001_zpsd9ee4121.jpg.html] [/URL]

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by oldgmc.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135180 by Mairjimmy
Oldgmc, Bit like the horse and wagon days with the dog running along under the wagon ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds