Skip to main content

International Harvester XF4 Army Prototype

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160952 by Tommy
Had the XF4 picked up this morning. Very wet day here in Perth.

Once D2 was under cover at it's new home, I began the process of giving it a quick 'once over' to clean out leaf debris/dirt and explore this trucks unique features.

First off the rank was the cab. The XF4s have tilt forward cabs for easy access to engine bay and hydraulics. The cab can be tilted with one hand. It is wonderfully well balanced, light and smooth in operation.

The cab interior is simple yet well thought out. The central control panel that hosts the gear stick, winch and driveshaft operation controls remain in it's original position when cab is tilted. This ensures the hydraulic lines remain undisturbed. Virtually all controls on the XF4 are hydraulically operated. As can be seen from the photo above, there is a plethora of hydraulic tubes servicing 'everything' :o.

At first glance, both cab seats appeared to be replacements. A closer look revealed the seats to be the originals. They are quite basic in their design and comfort. Hard to imagine sitting in them for long stints behind the wheel.

Both windscreen panels open a full 90 degrees.

Once the cab had been explored, the rear tray was next. I stripped out the removable central floor panels and cleaned out the under section of parts and dirt.

Zuffen, there were two front and two rear driveshafts in this under floor section. One rear shaft had been badly bent whilst there was a N.O.S front shaft. Plenty to work with :).

I also reinstalled the right side fuel tank and battery box.

Close inspection reveals that this truck is in remarkable condition. The all aluminium body is in almost perfect condition. The chassis is undamaged and rust free.

The only problem I see is the installation of the Ford V8 by a past owner. To accommodate this install, the motor, gearbox and transfer case have been re-positioned slightly rearwards from original. Fortunately, this has been sympathetically done and no damage to chassis has occurred. Should be quite easy to re-install IH V8 in correct position.

I now look forward to researching this vehicle before any further work is undertaken. There are a number of brackets and fittings that have to be identified and how they were utilised. Not the sort of vehicle one can simply go down the road and have a look at someone elses :(.

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Tommy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #160953 by AT4114
That's a fantastic looking truck there tommy and it's in such good nick for its age should be a real fun project please keep us posted cheers Bryant ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago #160954 by atkipete
Amazing bit of history there and it shows what Australian manufacturers could do given the chance.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160955 by asw120
Looks like it has found the right home.

Just out of curiosity, the wheels don't look like the civilian Inter 6-stud singles (which have lock rings). Do you know the stud pattern (eg 6 on 7-1/4") and anywhere else they were used ? Also, what is the front axle? Big-knuckle Dana 44?

We would be most pleased if you would bestow us with progress updates ;)

Cheers, Jarrod. (Inter ASW120)

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by asw120.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160956 by Tommy

Just out of curiosity, the wheels don't look like the civilian Inter 6-stud singles (which have lock rings). Do you know the stud pattern (eg 6 on 7-1/4") and anywhere else they were used ?

Also, what is the front axle? Big-knuckle Dana 44?

Hello Jarrod

The rims are 20 inch. They appear to be military as the paint on all surfaces are olive drab and matches the original colour of the XF4. Apart from that, I will need to find out more information.

The differentials are Rockwell (5.83:1) single speed reduction type with hydraulic differential locks - as stated in Workshop Manual.
I have been told that the axle housings were specially shortened to suit this truck.

Have you any idea what trucks these differentials were used in as I need to acquire two new front axles.

Axle from Diff.

More
8 years 9 months ago #160957 by Tommy

Amazing bit of history there and it shows what Australian manufacturers could do given the chance.

I agree with you on this one atkipete :).

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160958 by Tommy

That's a fantastic looking truck there tommy and it's in such good nick for its age should be a real fun project please keep us posted cheers Bryant ;)

Will keep the posts coming as I get more info etc. It would seem by comments made that there is a bit of interest in this truck.

Members on this forum could help me out with some details when sourcing a few parts etc. Items such as the 'missing' radiator would most probably have come from existing IH stock. But which one? :-/.

My next step is to plan how to tackle a restoration. One suggestion is to simply refurbish the hydraulics and mechanicals and leave the body alone. This may be a good option but not sure yet.

More
8 years 9 months ago #160959 by asw120
Thanks for the reply.

The wheels looked like 16" in the pictures, it can be hard to tell scale in photos.

I can't help you much with front axles. Possibly the smaller ACCO's, though, or c1600/D1610. I don't remember the stud pattern on those, however. The outer ends will interchange with something else, but if it's inner axles you need and the diff is a one (or several) off, you may have to get something shortened.

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160960 by Tommy
Hello All

Included in the purchase of the XF4 was a SV345 International V8 motor. This motor was acquired by previous owner to be installed in my XF4.

As I wish to remove the Ford V8 and reinstall an original 304, I will sell the 345. The IH XF4 had the 304 motor during the army trials.
What price will the 345 attract. It is a LPG powered motor and was running when removed from truck.

Please PM me with your thoughts :).

Thanks in advance.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160961 by Tommy
Update #1...Missing Parts

After some searching of the property on which D2 was stored for the last 15 years, I have now found a number of the original parts from XF4 D2 that were presumed 'missing'.

These parts include the SUE winch, left hand side fuel/storage underbody tray, 2 x rims and most importantly, the bellhousing.

Photo of the found parts.

Bellhousing.

The bellhousing was found attached to a IH V345 motor sitting in the long grass. The motor was subsequently extracted and bellhousing removed.

The bellhousing is unique to this truck. It can be identified from the raised cast part number beginning with 'ADE' (Army Design Establishment).

The Storage Tray.

This tray was found under a few feet of household junk. I found it by pure luck. The tray is missing the fuel tank and two storage boxes. These missing items are identical to the right side so replication should not be difficult.

The SUE (Shute Upton Engineering) winch.

The winch I found is the winch that came out of D2. The winch itself has been gutted and is missing the cable drum and roller frame. These parts can be sourced at a later date.

I have now re-installed the winch to it's correct position. The roller frame will be mounted to the underside of bumper as per original.

Time to create page: 0.683 seconds