Skip to main content

International Harvester XF4 Army Prototype

More
8 years 8 months ago #160982 by Tommy
It turns out that the Ford V8 motor that came out of D2 is a 302 in disguise. 351 block with 302 crank and pistons (30 thou oversize).

Sold it to a mechanic :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160983 by defective
Hi Tommy .. is the 304 Inter engine peculiar to the army jiggers ?...i was wondering if the International Scouts had a similar type ??...

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160984 by Tommy

Hi Tommy .. is the 304 Inter engine peculiar to the army jiggers ?...i was wondering if the International Scouts had a similar type ??...

Hello defective

I have no idea why the International version of the XF4 was furnished with a 304 motor. It was not used in any other army Inter that I know of. The Ford XF4s used the straight six 250 so it could not have been an XF4 requirement of the ADE.

The V304s were used in some of the imported Inter Scout 2s of the early to mid seventies. Some Australian D1610s also had the 304 V8.

Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Tommy.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160985 by Dave_64
Just a quick query on those 304 Inter engines, something makes me think that they may possibly have been made by American Motors (Rambler) under licence, before they too went belly-up?

I recall doing an early 343 Rambler engine up about 20 years ago and the gasket set (Felpro) had a sticker on it relating to what engines they fitted and I am almost certain that the Inter 304 was mentioned. Wouldn't have been all that odd, you only have to look at the variations of Warner Gear, New Process etc.etc made transmissions, same same Dana diffs, sold them to anyone.

But, I do stand to be corrected!

Cheers, Dave

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160986 by asw120
In the 70's in the USA, IH used AMC engines for a few years while they got their emission controls sorted out, or something like that. I understand none were used here by IH. 304's were used here in some Ramblers.

IIRC, sizes were 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, 401.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by asw120.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160987 by Tommy

Just a quick query on those 304 Inter engines, something makes me think that they may possibly have been made by American Motors (Rambler) under licence, before they too went belly-up?

I recall doing an early 343 Rambler engine up about 20 years ago and the gasket set (Felpro) had a sticker on it relating to what engines they fitted and I am almost certain that the Inter 304 was mentioned. Wouldn't have been all that odd, you only have to look at the variations of Warner Gear, New Process etc.etc made transmissions, same same Dana diffs, sold them to anyone.

But, I do stand to be corrected!

Cheers, Dave

Hello Dave

I have been researching the IH 304 motor on the net and have come across many questions on car forums in relation to the AMC 304.

The conclusion is that they are two completely different motors and share no common parts. The IH 304 is a truck motor and is bigger and heavier than the AMC 304 which was designed specifically for cars.

You can see the differences from the two photos below. The fuel pump for example is on the lower LHS of the AMC whereas the IH is on the lower RHS. The distributor on the AMC leans to the LHS whereas the IH stands vertically.

I too was confused as to whether these were one and the same motor but I now know that they are different ;).

IH 304 on the left. AMC 304 on the right. Both motors from the early 1970's.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160988 by defective
Hi Tommy .. a quick google search shows Soltoggio's truck wreckers over your way have a 1975 D1610 Inter with 304, 4 speed in their listings... give 'em a call I reckon...good luck and cheers.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160989 by _Kev

It turns out that the Ford V8 motor that came out of D2 is a 302 in disguise. 351 block with 302 crank and pistons (30 thou oversize).

Sold it to a mechanic :)

The catch with those cleveland engines is that Ford built the 302's in Geelong, you'll never find any reference to a 302 cleveland in an American book.

The guy near Rupanyup (Vic) is Ron Schneider, he was on Aussie Pickers last year and didn't give much up but he'd probably be good for info.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160990 by Dave_64
Tommy,
Thanks for the heads up on the 304 Inter VS Rambler. Looks like once again confusion rules supreme here!

Had a similar misfire with very early 327 AMC engines, also Study 287's. That'll learn me to do a bit more research!

Cheers, Dave

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160991 by Tommy
Update...

Picked up these two winch chainboxes the other day. The one on the right is marked - Shute Upton Brisbane (SUE). I have yet to identify the left chainbox.

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds