Skip to main content

1954 AR 160

More
8 years 7 months ago #162021 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: 1954 AR 160
I had a look in the shed and that Perkins Cross Member was there. I also have an inlet and exhaust manifold and water pump for a Silver Diamond.

They have been taken in to the Echuca Truck Display to see if anybody wants them along with a heap of AB and ACCO parts if anybody wants them. Most stuff is between $5 and $20 just to clean out the shed

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162022 by GarryAR160
Replied by GarryAR160 on topic Re: 1954 AR 160

I had a look in the shed and that Perkins Cross Member was there. I also have an inlet and exhaust manifold and water pump for a Silver Diamond.

They have been taken in to the Echuca Truck Display to see if anybody wants them along with a heap of AB and ACCO parts if anybody wants them. Most stuff is between $5 and $20 just to clean out the shed

Thanks bparo I will keep you in mined I am not making any commitments untill I know what I am doing.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162023 by bparo
The manifolds went to a new home over the weekend but the Water pump and cross member are back in the shed

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
8 years 7 months ago #162024 by GarryAR160
I should know sometime this week if I got my self another motor for her. Its a 282 is there any thing I should know about these motors. It was in a old 6x6 army acco. It was taken out running because they put a Perkins in it. Story has it it was to heavy on fuel. Is this true are they heavy on fuel compared to the silver motor.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162025 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1954 AR 160
I don't think my 282 (originally 6-281) uses any more fuel than the Gold 240 it replaced. I used the same manifolds, carby and all bolt-ons.

There were three versions of the 282, depending on what it went in. (281,2 and 3) Manifolds, carby/ies and exhaust/headers. that I know of. Do you know which one the one you're looking at is? (just curious, mainly)

Which ever you get, it will bolt in, might need to change the sump and you will need to change the clutch shaft (or use your old bellhousing)

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 7 months ago #162026 by bparo
If you look at the thread I posted earlier it tells you what we found doing a similar thing.

Don't throw out the old motor until you have the new one in. As we used the front mount from the ASD240 we needed to use it's harmonic balancer to get the fan belt to clear. we also used it's water pump pulley. It all bolted together with standard IH parts off the 2 motors.

We did use the old bell housing

More
8 years 7 months ago #162027 by GarryAR160
Thanks bparo dont worry I would never throw out the original motor. It would get thrown in the corner of one of the sheds or I would make a coffee table on wheels or something with it.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162028 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Re: 1954 AR 160
Hi Garry, the old '60 looks great. The original motors in those were well matched for the truck size. Some pulled
single axle trailers reliably. That was when the truck speed limit was 40 mph. They were set to use standard
petrol and ran pretty well.
If the motor you're looking at is from an ex army 6 x 6, it should have twin carbies and header exhaust manifolds.
Usually called a 283, the result of army requirements for more power and speed. Think they made 150 horses at
200 more revs than the 282 fitted to the later AA and AB 180 with single carby and header exhaust manifolds.
All used standard fuel and plenty of it, as it was cheap. Intake manifold design and single carby limited output.
These motors didn't like high rev's, being quite long in stroke. Usual failure was to lift a piston top off.
Plenty of info on these on this forum and other sites. Good luck with the project, Paul.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162029 by GarryAR160
Thanks PaulFH I have been doing some research on what I can and cant put in there. But I still like to ask the questions the more opinions I get the better of I am going to be. If there is one thing I do know and that is I dont want them twin carbs in there need a fuel tank to follow me around and a fat wallet to go with it. I brought the truck for two reasons. One that I love Internationals and have all ways wanted a old truck to take for the odd drive from time to time and two I am in need of a truck for my fire wood sales in the winter. So I thought why not go old school when I do get it on the road it will make a grate advertising statement. I dont care if the top speed is only 40mph whats that about 60kmph Im not in a hurry and people can go around. I brought the truck site unseen and was told the motor was going when it arrived thats when I lernt of the locked motor. Yesterday I got the carage up to try and tow the truck in first gear to try and free the motor up. I have had diesel soking in it for the last week but I had no luck. I gave it few light tugs and then left it as I was worred of braking something els.

I am still moving along with the other jobs I need to do to it. Today I took the tray of so I could start cleaning the chassis down ready for some painting. I am moving away from the old chassis black and plan on doing it in brown the same color as the bumpers and side steps. I will be doing the tray the same as well. Story has it that 604 is a grate paint for chassis and you can get it in any color you want.
Will put a pic up tomorrow of it with out the tray on it. Wish they brought these out in bogie drive they would look tuff as.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #162030 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1954 AR 160
Mate, you need 4th gear to "tow it into submission".
1st gear gives your engine mechanical advantage - you want the opposite, you want the wheels to have it. If you have some hard, flat ground and plenty of air in the tyres, I'd think rocking it back and forth in top will work as well as a tow, if not better. Don't write it off just yet....

Also, I forget, do you have the head off? If not, tap the valves before you go too hard.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by asw120.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds