Skip to main content

Were these Mercedes Benz also sold/available in Australia?

More
3 years 9 months ago #210939 by DieselFan
Hello,

I searched both on the internet and forum, but found no resultat.

So may I ask here in the forum, were these Mercedes Benz also sold/available in Australia:

the Mercedes Benz T1/TN Mercedes Benz T1

the Mercedes Benz T2 Mercedes Benz T2

and the Unimog, especially the U2100 Mercedes Benz Unimog

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Clemens

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #210940 by Lang
Clemens

The T1 and T2 were both available in Australia but not big sellers.

I have seen the U2100 on special jobs (on a rice farm) in Australia but I suspect they may have been special order. I may be wrong but like you can not find any reference to general Australian supply. Of course the Australian Army had many U1700 Unimogs which they are selling off now but not U2100.

Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DieselFan

More
3 years 9 months ago #210946 by bparo
UNIMOGs are available from your Mercedes Benz truck dealer (or were in 2004). A railway track weedspray company purchased one for use alongside the railway tracks in 2014 from a Bendigo Dealer. As a tanker it felt very unstable, particularly off road. They were governed to 8okmh until the boss signed an indemnity to have it removed so he could do 100kmh. With a high centre of gravity and thousands of litres of watered down weedspray in the tank on the back it is an accident waiting to happen as it wallows every dip in the road

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
3 years 9 months ago #210953 by Morris
Hello Clemens,
Welcome to the forum.
As Lang said, most Unimogs in Australia were for the Army. They had a team of retired Army engineers making modifications for them. One task the engineers had was to build one into a recovery vehicle for other Unimogs. A seven ton vehicle carrying a seven ton vehicle?

There was one 1950's 0r 1960's small Unimog brought into Australia by a team of Missionaries from Germany who tried to establish a German Christian Mission in the north of the State of Western Australia. An enthusiast purchased the remains of it a few years ago and showed pictures of it on this forum, asking for identification and parts.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 9 months ago #210954 by Lang
Morris

The Army Unimogs only weigh 5-6 tons depending on equipment. Their all-up weight is 13.8 tons so they can easily carry another Unimog on their back if they were stretched.

Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago #210955 by Mrsmackpaul
T2 I believe was a yes, it was advertised in old Truck and Bus magazines , 60's - 70's

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #210983 by DieselFan
Hello Morris,

thanks for your welcome to the forum.
Interesting read about both of Lang and you about the Unimogs.

And about one Unimog carrying the other Unimog:
in Denmark are Unimogs very popular for this Mercedes Benz Unimog

Clemens
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by DieselFan.

More
3 years 9 months ago #210984 by DieselFan
And at last, I hope that I'm allowed to return with some more questions :)

Clemens

More
3 years 9 months ago #210985 by Lang
Clemens

That is what we are all here for. I am sure there are many forum people who are interested in any of your Unimog questions. We always like photographs from your area and we have members from all over the world.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, DieselFan

More
3 years 9 months ago #211072 by DieselFan
Hello Lang

Thanks for your reply.
It's not "only" the Unimog, I'm interested in and have questions for. It's also f. example the Kenworth W-series and refrigerated trailers / reefer trailers (what is correct for this type of trailers?)
I think, there can be many things worth knowing about the Kenworth W-series in this thread First Kenworths down under .
Maybe there are some other threads?

Clemens

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds