Skip to main content

Grey Ghosts air cleaner set up

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #220290 by overnite
Can’t get much more original and early than this one with Darlo.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220291 by Mrsmackpaul

Lang wrote: I think they are two different makes of air cleaner. The restored one is definitely correct plumbing (I have the same unit on both my OKA and Mack). There is a steel inner surround around the element that the incoming air hits causing it to swirl and dump dust into the can before entering the element' It also stops water directly hitting the element and sends it to the bottom of the can to drain out a duck-bill outlet.

The original looks like it gets its initial heavy particle separation from the intake cap . There must be some separation before the element or it would last 5 minutes in dusty conditions. Maybe someone can give info in the original?

Lang

The Mack type I believe Swishman is referring to has may 10 or 12 plastic nuts around the top, these need to be undone to service the air filter

These as a rule were only fitted to Macks with Mack motors and at guess from the cool powered Macks up until the mid 90's
There is no pre cleaner or vactuator (duck bill rubber doo hickie) and they dont block up under extreme dust conditions

There is no swirling device fitted at all, some people have fitted the Donaldson pre cleaner bowls on top

All non Mack powered Macks appeared to have been fitted with a normal Donaldson cleaner that flows the way you would expect

I have had my Mack for many years and can vouch for the fact that it doesn't block up any more than a normal Donaldson type cleaner even in extreme conditions

I feel sizing and shape have a lot do with this

Back onto to Grey Ghost and its plumbing, well I have no idea how that is meant to be

I feel every delivery of trucks would of been slightly different

It sure looks a bit messy to me and looks non original as it is at the moment

Maybe it was a apprentice project to rebuild the truck and no one except us are even aware

The air cleaner is definitely a different style than the ones shown in the two original photos but may of been as close as they could get with what they had available during the rebuild

Or maybe we are just been to picky

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220295 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Grey Ghosts air cleaner set up
To my eye the restoration looks almost the same as the Comet photo without the intake cap.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220300 by roKWiz

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220302 by roKWiz
Wonder if its the difference between FH and FW Cyclopac styles.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220316 by Blackduck59
Both those are side entry.
The FH has the secondary/safety element on the inside and the FW has the swirl blades on the outside directing the airflow/dirt to the bottom.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220349 by jimbo51
Looking at a few build lists the fundamental difference is that the Seattle built ghosts had FHG series Donaldsons and the Australian built had FWA series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220361 by roKWiz

Blackduck59 wrote: Both those are side entry.
The FH has the secondary/safety element on the inside and the FW has the swirl blades on the outside directing the airflow/dirt to the bottom.

FW is a top entry. FH is a side entry. As in the diagrams.

Heritage Stonemason

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220362 by Mrsmackpaul
So to us dumb Mack types, were was this rivet built wonder made, the US or here ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220377 by jimbo51
The KW in xspanman's original post is Australian built but, for some reason, the air cleaner is plumbed like the Seattles.

There's other things on that "restoration" that annoy purists but let's not go there :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds