Skip to main content

Trucking 1950's Australia

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228590 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
The two Commers that Benedict’s had were both single axle trailers, and the 1418 was a 28’ bogie toa trailer, but the Mercedes still won out for comfort and power IMO.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228591 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
Well you had a real life comparison compared to my "afterlife" limited experience with restored vintage trucks so the weight of argument must be with you. I never drove a 1418 with a load but then again I can't remember them flying past me like a 760 Dodge or those crazy people drifting their grey boxes around corners.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 5 months ago #228599 by Standen
Replied by Standen on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
The 1950's were a bit before my time. What were the big bangers on interstate back then?

More
2 years 5 months ago #228600 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
Lang, comparing the quick Dodges and the ghosts, to a 1418 was like comparing chalk and cheese, except the 1418 was more comfortable and quieter than the ghosts.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228601 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
I recall my old man worked for Collier Garland ,who bought fleets of petrol 190 Inters,Ford Sputniks ,and Commer Knockers on interstate......and seems they used to crash ,burn or blow up one truck a day......maybe not that many.......but the big bangers of the early 50s were Leyland 600s,AEC Mandators,and Fodens ....all very slow trucks
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Standen

More
2 years 5 months ago #228602 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Trucking 1950's Australia

The 1950's were a bit before my time. What were the big bangers on interstate back then?
Bit before my time too, but I'd hazard a guess at Clydesdale, Shire and bullocks. ;)

More
2 years 5 months ago #228603 by Lang
B Model Macks and 190 Inters stick in my mind as an upgrade on the big British trucks of the period. I also remember those Ansett VW Beetle Deutz pulling "big" loads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Standen

More
2 years 5 months ago #228604 by Lang
Overnite when did the Yellow, Purple and Grey overnight periods happen or did they overlap?

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228606 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
Back in the 50's with this AEC you would be king of the road, not because of the 9.6 or 11 litre diesel but because it had full air brakes. It and the two others in the batch were delivered 1951 and fitted with a 28' tray and a wooden cab with a sleeper bench. They were put on Newcastle - Brisbane. After a while the 30 mph top speed that came with the 5 speed box was deemed too slow and newer models with overdrive were put on the job. For two of them it was no retirement as they were taken into the workshop, chassis shortened and converted to tippers with a steel cab. They were then working coke to Muswellbrook and return to Newcastle with foundry sand. They were on full rego until 1980 from which time they worked on the BHP site reclamation for another ten years. So two are now on club rego.
The upshot is that the big Leylands and AEC's made the track s for the Macks to follow. The Albion in the background is of the same era and would have done the lighter end of the work. Read Ray Gillilands book The Nullabor Kid to read about the hard yards they did back in the day.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by mammoth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, Standen, oliver1950

More
2 years 5 months ago #228609 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Trucking 1950's Australia
I was always impressed with Gardners that idled about 50rpms ,and used to shake the trucks to pieces ......they would almost stall ,then give a kick and speed up a bit ,then the same again.......dunno how drivers could put up with it.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds