Skip to main content

Leyland Super Hippos

More
12 years 2 days ago #80380 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Mammoth, I recall seeing that program on the TV when I was a kid, can you get the DVD of it now?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #80381 by hoarder1
Replied by hoarder1 on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Just to be pedantic, the Toots story was not aired on Australian Story (the ABC show of today), but was shown on a Peter Luck production called 'The Australians'. The series aired around 1980 or 1981. I too watched it as a kid and loved it. I've still got my copy of the book of the series which was a Christmas present in 1981. The first chapter in the book is on Toots. I don't think I've ever seen a DVD of the series, but that doesn't mean one isn't available.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb
Last edit: 12 years 2 days ago by hoarder1.

More
12 years 2 days ago #80382 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
I stand corrected, it was The Australians. I was given a copy by a fellow member. Maybe he could be persuaded to run some more off and bring them down to Beenleigh, but I am not aware of the copyright situation.

More
12 years 2 days ago #80383 by hoarder1
courtesy of the Cape Yorker magazine, here's a pic of Ron Holzheimer's (Often better known as Toot's husband) Leyland.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
12 years 2 days ago #80384 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
hoarder1,
Looks like he is on the telegrath track Cape York ,Would that be a Man behind the Leyland ,Looks like it bit of fun ::) ::) ::) ::)well the 4WD boys of today would :) :) :)
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
12 years 2 days ago #80385 by hoarder1
Yeah, looks like fun. The MAN was driven by his wife. Do a search on here for 'Toots'- there is a thread about the blue MAN.

More
12 years 2 days ago #80386 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
For those that have an interest in "Toots Holzheimer" there is a book written by her daughter Donna Vawdrey covering Toots life from beginning to her tragic end. The club has just purchased some copies and having bought one myself and read it, I can thoroughly recommend it.

More
11 years 11 months ago #80387 by Outback Pat
Here is a hippo I found out in the Gulf country a couple of years ago. The yellow paint makes it look like an old transport and works truck?

More
11 years 8 months ago - 8 years 1 month ago #80388 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
G'Day All,

Not sure how I missed this thread. Clearly the chap in charge of continuation in the "The Cattle Carters" was not very careful; I reckon they used no less than three vehicles: The Buffalo, which was the main star, a Beaver and what I believe is an AEC Mammoth Major, as evidenced by these screen captures I made:

The wheelarch in the last pic... That's to me some kind of an AEC, Leyland had its own COE which was very different.

Leyland Beaver/Super Beaver/Hippo/Super Hippo cabs is a tricky subject once you bring into account the Israeli ones which were similar to the one Holzheimer had - until you look closely and notice the Buffalo radiator and Israeli cab. Then there were South American ones, South African ones and Kiwi ones and God knows what else, all with their locally produced cab varieties...

All of the above are Leyland Ashdods part assembled in Israel (2nd pic by H. Shabtai).

The Buffalo thread is here: www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256484174/0

Cheers

T
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Tatra. Reason: spelling

More
11 years 8 months ago #80389 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Well spotted Tatra, in spite of my moniker I missed the AEC, LOL
I think the bonnetted cabs changed over time in the same market, not just between different markets. One not noticed much is the change from quarterlights in the doors to none.

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds