More
11 years 8 months ago #80390 by philip
Replied by philip on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
jeffo how does a turbo increase the cubes

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #80391 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Are you referring to the 400>410, pretty sure that was just the Sales Dept.
It was still a 400ci engine renamed after they bolted a turbo on.
We had 680's but once they scored a turbo think they were called 690's which was confusing as AEC had a 690. Would have been easier to just add "T".
Leyland etc had so many engines in those days, today we're only seeing a few survivors.
eg Who can even remember the Lynx, turbocharged, fixed head 500ci engine, popular in the UK buses ????

More
11 years 8 months ago #80392 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
The 500 engine was not always turboed. It's main home was in the National bus, and to a lesser extent in the Bison and Buffulo trucks.

More
11 years 8 months ago #80393 by Mrsmackpaul

G'Day All,

Not sure how I missed this thread. Clearly the chap in charge of continuation in the "Tha Cattle Carters" was not very careful; I reckon they used no less than three vehicles: The Buffalo, which was the main star, a Beaver and what I believe is an AEC Mammoth Major, as evidenced by these screen captures I made:

The wheelarch in the last pic... That's to me some kind of an AEC, Leyland had its own COE which was very different.

Leyland Beaver/Super Beaver/Hippo/Super Hippo cabs is a tricky subject once you bring into account the Israeli ones which were similar to the one Holzheimer had - until you look closely and notice the Buffalo radiator and Israeli cab. Then there were South American ones, South African ones and Kiwi ones and God knows what else, all with their locally produced cab varieties...

All of the above are Leyland Ashdods part assembled in Israel (2nd pic by H. Shabtai).

The Buffalo thread is here: www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256484174/0

Cheers

T

Well I had never seen or heard of this film before so off into youtube loved it we just dont make simple nfilms any more . Think the law might frown on the drink driving though these days! after whatching it I thought there has got to be a way to save to a disk for dvd player many hours later I got it . You can sure waste some time on these things

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 8 months ago #80394 by ErgoMike
Replied by ErgoMike on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
The 690 is not a turbo'ed 680
It has bigger valves and oil fed con rods amongst other mods.

More
11 years 7 months ago #80395 by Mrsmackpaul

Heres an arctical from old farm magazine i came across the other day from up in the CATTLE CARTER CONTRY movie thought may be of some intrest

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 7 months ago #80396 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Here is a bit more news.

One of the older Leylands shown in the 1st & 2nd photos at the start of this topic (top of page one) is currently being restored.

AND - I have located 2 of the 8 wheel dog trailers shown in the 1st photo. Unfortunatly - the crates of both have long gone - and they are currently set up a field bins for grain.

Amazingly (well I think so) - the old Leyland that is being restored - actually carted grain in the Moree (NSW) to Clermont (QLD) circuit for most of the 1970's. Carting right past where the dog trailers were working their 2nd life as field bins.

So the old NAPCO trucks live on!!

Oldfulla

More
11 years 5 months ago #80397 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Here's an example of what they were up to in Argentina

From here: www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22415 and here: www.camionesclasicos.com/FORO/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22270

The first one will be restored and is fitted with (possibly) a Mack Duplex tranny - still trying to find out the details. It was originally a Shell tanker and had a drawbar trailer. Must have done long distance deliveries which explains the sleeper cab.

Cheers

T

More
9 years 3 months ago #80398 by Brewster13
Replied by Brewster13 on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Mount Goldsworthy Mining used a few to haul railway lines for the construction of the Port Headland to Mt Goldsworthy railway line. I'm pretty sure they were Hippos, but could have been Buffalos. They were orange (could have been operated by Utah) and hauled about 30-40 tons (dirt roads if you could call them that) and had 3 boxes - main, splitter and joey. Love a manual if anyone knows where you can get one.

More
9 years 3 months ago #80399 by 14B-Beaver
Replied by 14B-Beaver on topic Re: Leyland Super Hippos
Hi All,

I received a book for Christmas, and it mentions a Leyland 680T engine. Was this the fore-runner of the 690? Some one may know.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds