Skip to main content

Bimbos Roadhouse at Bargo - what colour?

More
11 years 2 months ago #107071 by mousey
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a 1/43 scale diorama to go with an article for my upcoming aussie model truck releases and I'm in the process of making a replica of Bimbo's Roadhouse, which later became a cake shop. The building is still there, had a good look at it via Google Earth, it's on the corner of Marshall Ave Bargo (a few doors down from the motel).

Some pics of the place from Truck & Bus magazine may 1974 have been posted in this forum before but the scans are a bit unclear, and of course are in Black & White.

The (now closed) cake shop that it became is a 'cheesecake shop' sort of green but what colour was it back in the day? Or was it just plain "brick".

The side is green and the back is beige, both appear colourbond or tin sheet, anyone remember what colour these parts of the building were?

The building when viewed from other angles looks like basically a big tin shed with a brick facade on the front and left side.

It's probably stretching memories but if anyone can 'remember' some of these details anything else such as what was on the banner signage at the front and side that'd be a great help!

I'm not sure if the big scaffolding sign was there in 1974 (the one that says Chinese meals etc) but definately is on the back cover of Nev Nicholls album "truckin around" (some classic song titles in there too including 'truck me dead'... but i digress!)

I'll be sure to post some photos (with accompanying models) when it's done.

The Nev Nicholls Bimbos album cover is at www.flickr.com/photos/murrayjoe/55370241...et-72157626503943767

Mousey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #107072 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Mousey, I am no help for the old pics or memories but I am in Bargo on Sunday so if you need any current pics, PM me.
Regards, Stephen

Kind Regards

More
11 years 2 months ago #107073 by jimbo51
Given that it was a Mobil and their colours were white, blue and red and in this photo it looks dark so could it be blue or red?

As to the Nev Nicholls photo, something just doesn't look quite right about it, and I don't just mean the idea that a pristine Volvo would have been allowed in a real truckie's roadhouse. 8-) :D

11 years 2 months ago #107074 by
Well I live in Bargo but only been here a few years so can't help with colours but will let you know the cafe has reopened and sells great home made pies with chunky beef not mince from our local butcher, Have had some cakes and coffees too. Usual disclaimer.
Paul of Bargo

More
11 years 2 months ago #107075 by mousey
Thanks stephen, jimbo and paul for your replies.

Stephen, if you can get a photo of the back of it that'd be great, I was able to get good front and side shots via google earth. There appears to be a panelled glass door at the back and a large window or door on the right, a photo would confirm the proportions.
There could also be some steps leading out from the door at the back, those are the only details I'm missing apart from the original colour scheme.
There's a mechanic shed next door and the 'rear shot' should be get-able from the gate there...
One photo from that view should be plenty and thanks for offering to take the pic.

Jimbo it's possible it was red or blue being Mobil .. but it could have been green or brown, that's the problem with black and white photos - looks a bit dark for red, and in black & white it's impossible to tell blue from green... but I think someone out there should know.

I reckon they let Nev park a Volvo there because in other albums he had a Flintstone Mack, Loadstar, MAN and Peterbilt so he had good form, hehe - maybe Volvo was sponsoring him at that time ?.. or maybe it was his own.

Paul it's good to see it's open again after being a pancake/cake shop that appeared to be closed down from the google earth images I captured (so they must be from a few years back).
Sounds like the food is better than it was when Bluey Tucker wrote his truckstop review in 1974, but it is a shame it's no longer a "truckstop". Probably worth a visit even just to see if the walls can tell any stories :)

Mousey

More
11 years 2 months ago #107076 by Scummy
G,day , i took these photo's about a year ago . Hope they help mate .

More
11 years 2 months ago #107077 by mousey
Hi Scummy, yes I've seen those photos and actually found them while googling something else old truck related which led me here to the forum!
I was able to get other views of the building via google earth and it looks exactly the same as the photos you posted.

The main thing I'd like to find out is what colour it was when it was still Bimbo's - it may well have been the same.

Mousey

11 years 2 months ago #107078 by
Scummy

Just noticed the old truck in the next property, ?? what is it and maybe if someone knocked on the door of the place next door the owners may know what the colours were.

Trevor

More
11 years 2 months ago #107079 by jimbo51
Trevor,

The property next door with the big sheds and the old truck was the dirt parking area back in the day.

More
11 years 2 months ago #107080 by mousey
Hi Trevor apparently it's a Dodge Kew and was photographed by Richard in another post on the forum:

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1342616936

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds