Skip to main content

Bimbos Roadhouse at Bargo - what colour?

More
11 years 1 month ago #107091 by mousey
p.s

regarding the 'pristine volvo' in front of Bimbo's on the cover of the "truckin' around" album from 1979, I received a lovely hand written reply from Nev Nicholls regarding his photoshoot at Bimbo's and although he too couldn't remember the colour, in regards to the Volvo N10 he said "it was the first time I'd seen a truck of that brand, but the manufacturers were keen to be involved".

He said their intention was a get together at the next truck show (which would have been 1979 or 1980).. but apparently that might not have occurred.

I did notice on that photo that the clock on the bimbo's sign says 10.30am so maybe the Volvo guys planned to be in and out of there before the 'real trucks' arrived, (not my words, ha).

Nev went on to say that the photo shoot was done by a photographer employed by RCA records who was in such a hurry to get it over and done with that he didn't even get to go inside!

Mousey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #107092 by mousey
hi stephen, jimbo, paul, scummy, old don, et al..

I have now posted photos of my completed diorama on the model talk forum as they've now been published.

Thanks for everyone for your help and ideas.

I have more detailed photos on my website at robsclassicmodels2.webs.com/

but here's a general view so you can see the overall result.

It took over a month, probably 2 counting the research, and a number of nights rocking around the clock working on it till 5am in the morning but the finished diorama was worth it. :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #107093 by millview41

Given that it was a Mobil and their colours were white, blue and red and in this photo it looks dark so could it be blue or red?

As to the Nev Nicholls photo, something just doesn't look quite right about it, and I don't just mean the idea that a pristine Volvo would have been allowed in a real truckie's roadhouse. 8-) :D

I remember it well from the 70s

More
10 years 8 months ago #107094 by Lang
I have a couple of recollections of Bimbos circa 1966.

Firstly the Chinese food was the standard period Australian/Chinese. The diners ordered 50% Sweet and Sour Pork, 45% Chicken Chow Mien and 5% Dim Sims all with Fried Rice and drowned in Soy sauce. Of course it would not be a Chinese restaurant without either Pineapple or Banana fritters for sweets. There was a girl there who could stand at a table with no notebook and take orders for 12 people and deliver the food back perfectly.

The most important thing was I was coming out one day and saw my very first standard highway triple axle trailer going past (I had seen Bell Brothers in Perth but they were special WA trucks servicing the mines up north)

Lang

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds