Skip to main content

2010 ATHS American Iron Display

More
13 years 8 months ago #33827 by bparo
I had a couple of calls this morning as people are concerned by media reports of flooding at Echuca. So I spoke to some Echuca locals today.

The situation is that the river has risen within its banks as the flood waters are moving downstream. It is not expected to flood until Tuesday or Wednesday but some low areas of state forest (called minor flood plains) may get inundated before then.

The rally ground is still solid and described by locals as being in beautiful condition (remember this site has been developed as a winter steam rally ground for around 40 years so is more solid than the local footy ground). In fact the Campaspe river (which runs beside the grounds) has dropped overnight and its normal level is over 10 metres lower than the rally ground area used by the dsiplay so should not be a problem.

In short the show is on but bring a rain coat

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33828 by atkipete
Will be up there Sat AM just hope they don't notice that "Made in Canada" badge.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33829 by ray
Anyone get up to Echuca to the ATHS show? How was it?

More
13 years 8 months ago #33830 by atkipete
Great show, great weather and very relaxed atmosphere. will post some photos tonight.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33831 by 653Detroit
I went to the ATHS American Iron Display. Left Sat morning with my 2 sons and farther in the ute as truck was not ready and spent the two days there. The weather was perfect unlike all the media hype lead us to believe. Had a great weekend spoke to many with a lot leads to parts, where to get parts and different methods to fix and repair. Very friendly people leaving no questions unanswered. Found a B43 Mack that my family where one the original owners truck was credit to Smithy. looking forward to attending many future events with my own truck Inter R190. Great weekend.

13 years 8 months ago #33832 by
I went to the ATHS display. Mainly local trucks. Guess many didn't go since so close to Alice.

But was a good weekend anyway. Sunday was certainly the best day. And the weather was perfect!

Couple of pics

Seems to be a pattern forming! ;D

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33833 by bparo
The Riverine Herald ( rivheraldechuca.net/ ) had a report which I have copied as it will probably disappear wednesday when the next issue comes out

Entry numbers were down at the weekend's American Iron Heritage Truck Display in Echuca, with many visitors seemingly scared away by metropolitan news reports about future flooding in the town.
Run by the American Truck Historical Society (ATHS), the show attracted about 60 entries on Saturday and expected up to 80 or 90 entries yesterday.

ATHS president Gavin Spence said entry and visitor numbers were down this year because of what he termed ``unnecessary media hype''.

``We've had a lot of phone calls asking if the show has been cancelled and asking if Echuca is flooded,'' he said.

However, for those who did turn out to the two-day event, there was still plenty to see with American and Australian built trucks on display.

``It makes a great weekend for anyone interested in coming along,'' Gavin said.

As well as the trucks, live music and miniature train rides were also features of the event which was held at Rotary Park

I think it is a bit much just to blame the Echuca floods. Although the media reports would not have helped I could see the following issues (meant as constuctive criticism not having a go at the ATHS)

Issues I think impacted the show:

No Flyers seen: Ther 1st one I saw for the 2010 show was as I was leaving the event which is a bit late.

No Contact made with appropriate Clubs I spoke to members of 3 other Truck/Commercial Vehicle Clubs and not one of the clubs had received a letter or flyer about the event meaning it did not make their club magazines to let members know. This stopped people from attending as they didn't find out in time to plan and make bookings so once the media started reporting floods it was easy to make a decision not to go

Focus on Alice Springs being close to Alice Springs caused some people family & work issues as they only got back the weekend before the show so leave passes were hard to obtain and maybe people needed a break.

Floods in other areas of Victoria People in areas that traditionally support the event had been flooded (Goldfields and North Eastern Victoria) so people could either not get out or were busy cleaning up the mess left behind

Things they did well:

Other Publicity They were in the Herald-Sun, Weekly Times and Riverine Herald in the week leading up to it. (and a bit earlier in the events section of the Herald Sun at least)

friendly environment Even though I could not take my truck (the Monash Council ripped up the kerb in Glen Waverley and while I got the car out before they did it I wasn't keen on leaving the truck in the street for a week or two) everyone was friendly and welcomed us.

local support The Rotary club and the town are behind the show with vehicles at the local Tourist Information Centre promoting the show. People in town knew the show was on.

I noticed that 2 of their committee organising the event had been in hospital prior to the show - this could not have helped and I wish them a speedy recovery.

Also missing (at least on the Saturday, I didn't go back Sunday) were a couple of people who used to frequent every show and a couple of regulars were seen without vehicles. Indivdually I have no problem with any of their decisions but the overall effect was a smaller show than I had seen for a long time.

Maybe next year will be better. It has the foundations of being something special

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by bparo.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds