Skip to main content

Haulin' the Hume 2013 - April 27-28

More
11 years 9 months ago #86622 by Cunning Stunt
Sorry I've been a bit absent due to work commitments (I mean stress :( :()

My previous co-organiser and I threw the 30 year rule in purely to ensure that we didn't tarnish the run with late model doubles rounding us up along the Breadalbane flats! It is now more to help keep the numbers at bay. Everyone has there interests which is what makes this fun and if ol mates is Jap trucks, so be it. As Brad and Chocs said, it fits the criterea.

Anything newer will be at our discretion but it won't be too much newer. I'm a closet W Model fan and there are some schmick mid 80's ones restored and I'll happily let them join us but if it's an 87 ACCO with a garbage compactor fitted, well, I'll probably draw the line at that...... ;)

We are up to around 50 paid entries already and once it's full that's it. The cap was put in place due to the interest which made us think that we could end up with far more trucks and if we had 350 and all went well it wouldn't be a drama but if it fell apart under us, I'm quite sure we wouldn't organize it again.

We learnt a fair bit from the last one (which was our first one) and we're realistic enough to know there could be some hiccups along the way but if the general goal is achieved - ie: To get from Sydney to Yass in old trucks along the Old Hume unscathed - well I'll be a happy boy :). All the other stuff is a bonus.

The Clipper Club has been in touch and they are coming in force which for me will be a highlight. Also, Ol' mate with the private section of road will once again clear a few hundred ton of super off the road and lock the cows away so we can enjoy his piece of history.

I did this with just Kirky, Brad & Linda last year and it was a bit of a struggle. Just to satisfy a few PM's, Kirky's concentrating on a few other things but will hopefully bring his magic Pete and trailer with us again. Brad and Linda are still there taking all the entries and sending back some info, and there is another small group of enthusiastic guys sharing the load and putting up with my pedantic ways and due to my work commitments, every entrant should be indebted to these guys for making it come together, they're a great bunch of like minded blokes :)

So hopefully this will come together without a hitch and even Big Cam will break away from his busy weekend with cooked breakfasts and latte's and join us ;D

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86623 by oldbob70
Replied by oldbob70 on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
On ya !!! Bruce and helpers

oldbob

More
11 years 9 months ago #86624 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013

The rolling 30 year old rule has it's roots in the rules of the international federation of historic motor clubs (or words to that effect for the name). Wether it was the the clubs in NSW or the RTA who locked it in first may be lost in history.

When I first got involved with club plates back in the mid 60s, there were fixed dates which got reviewed every few years. Sometime in the 70s, the RTA and what was then the CVVTMC (now Council of Motor Clubs) settled on the rolling 30 year rule. While this may be acceptable for cars, I have tried lobbying for a 25 year rollover for commercials. Any truck or bus which is still in service after about 20 years is likely to get "modified" in some way to keep it productive, and this negates its eligibilty for club plates later on. Not many enthusiasts want to pay full rego to keep an old truck running for 10 years, nor do they want to keep it locked up, waiting for the 30 years to roll around.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
11 years 9 months ago #86625 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
Hi Beaver
I was involved in the club plate scheme back in the 70's also. Back then, if I remember correctly, the NSW RTA had a 1946 cut off date for club registered vehicles which was in reality just a permit to move. Club plates were optional and most clubs produced their own number plates, you sometimes see these at swap meets.

Sometime around 76 or a bit later after much lobbying by the CCVVTMC the RTA introduced the rolling 30 year cut off date and some time later did away with (banned) the club plates and introduced the present RTA issued plates.

Even under the old system trucks could be registered under the then rules. I clearly remember we had a few trucks registered with our club. One unusual vehicle that we managed to get through for registration after inspection by the RTA and Dept of main roads was a WW11 Tank!!! It was fitted with rubber tracks over the normal tracks and the Dept of Main Roads Engineer and RTA Rep actually came and inspected it in action on a tarred road to make sure no damage was done to the surface. It passed with flying colours and was duly issued with plates. I must tell you that while it was registered it rarely saw the light of day only appearing on ANZAC Day and such like parades.
Mike

More
11 years 9 months ago #86626 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
Who's the most organised mob around?, I reckon it's the "Haulin the Hume 2013" mob. I sent off my entry money & bugger me dead the entry paperwork & meal wristbands turned up in the mail today. Folks, well done, that's service for you. Thank you. Cheers Tim ;) :o

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 9 months ago #86627 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
Ive sent my money and form in so I might get me goodies shortly also then.
I have no idea where im going so I might have to bunk in behind you Tim ;)

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86628 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
Baz, if you can find your way up to the Alice thru the bush, you'll find your way to Sydney mate, just look for the "Coathanger" if you can see that you've gone tooo far. cya Tim ;) ;D :o 8-) ::)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 9 months ago #86629 by Cunning Stunt
Thought we'd better get our act together after last years effort ;)

Some play hard to get

More
11 years 9 months ago #86630 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Haulin' the Hume 2013
Your right Tim...the Haulin the Hume guys are organised. Got my package last night :).

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86631 by stepto and son
Is this run held every 2 years?
where is the next run starting from?

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds