Skip to main content

Some NZ Commers

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16419 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
Here's one D3F that is still around in the HCVC. It has a 354 Perkins, 6 speed Commer box and single speed diff. While it's not the fastest thing around it is economical at 20 mpg. (I'm not too flash with metrics.)
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by ray.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #16420 by
Replied by on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
Ray - Is that a D3F 400? Is the Perkins factory fit? I've seen these with 245 Hemi motors and a 4 speed, that I presume was lifted out of the small Dodges, like the 200 series .. but I've never seen one with a Perkins as factory fit.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16421 by John H
Replied by John H on topic Re: Some NZ Commers

Ray - Is that a D3F 400? Is the Perkins factory fit? I've seen these with 245 Hemi motors and a 4 speed, that I presume was lifted out of the small Dodges, like the 200 series .. but I've never seen one with a Perkins as factory fit.

Hi in NZ they came out here with the perkins 6 (RG11) and 6 turbo (RG13) and the v8 perkins (RG 15 ) and one came through our shop with a chrysler 318 v8 and 4 spd box brand new cab and chassi do not know where it went, probably a fire tender,

14 years 6 months ago #16422 by
But these were 6-8 tonners, weren't they? .. on 20" wheels? The 4 tonners on 16" wheels, never had any Perkins, in factory fitted form, did they? ..

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16423 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
you had a diesel and petrol option in Oz ..the small petrol was the 245 then the mighty 318 .. the diesel was the torquemonster :D 6.354..and 6.354 turbo in the D3F 650 series (as far as i know the largest factory sold D3F in OZ).. i havnt got my D3F books with me but im sure the 400 D3f had the 6.354
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by kennymopar2.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16424 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
G'day All,

Fascinating thread - I did'nt know there were so many variations on the theme downunder. We had what you call D2s and D3s but not the 1950s cabovers - also doubt more than a few TS3 (too exotic for the Israeli market). All were badged as Dodges but to confuse matters there were also "real" (Kew) Dodges like this head-banger cabbed one (no idea what type designation was used downunder):

I believe all of them had Perkins straight sixes or bent eights, no petrol engines and no petrol engines. They did sell quite a few although way back then they played a second fiddle to the D-Series Fords and Leyland's midweights. All gone now...

Cheers,

T

PS: More pics of Dodges where the above came from: www.flickr.com/groups/886837@N20/

More
14 years 6 months ago #16425 by kennymopar2
that looks pretty much a D3F cab ..but with "older" lines added to make it look more like a pom truck ? :-?

14 years 6 months ago #16426 by
Kennymopar2 - Well, I'd have to have an educated guess .. that it IS a Pommy truck! .. seeing as its been posted by "Blackcountryman" .. and he's got nothing but pics of Pommy trucks! .. 8-)

www.flickr.com/photos/blackcountryman/

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #16427 by kennymopar2
i can see your educated
i dont seem to see the need for any teachers here
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by kennymopar2.

14 years 6 months ago #16428 by
Some of his pics would make ya weep. Get a look at the low-milage RFW firetruck they cut up for scrap!! What a bunch of f*#$&*ts!!! .. :'(

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds