Skip to main content

Some NZ Commers

More
14 years 5 months ago #16399 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
The Commer didn't really look anything like either of the Morris vans (J4 or J2) Sarge. The Commer was much better looking and a much better van, too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16400 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
i remember those commer vans in OZ the body was much wider than the wheel track ..plenty of room for bigger rims !

More
14 years 5 months ago #16401 by VicHung
You are right there, Kenny, the body was MUCH wider than the wheelbase. They used to roll a fair bit on the corners but were a bit of fun on winding roads.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 5 months ago #16402 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Some NZ Commers

Sarge
GuddayM8

Jist a little off topic

BUT
wotz with the new name :-x

R we spose to roll out the red carpet n Salute, bend n grovel
Have U beeen Promted/demoted

R U the new 'X' Squad

Iz this the new U

InQuiring Mindz...................................... U no

;D

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 5 months ago #16403 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
The PB van was introduced around 1960 with the 3/4 ton rating with others to 2 1/4 ton rating following with many body styles. Was designed and built by Pressed Steel at Cowley (which is probably where the morris cues come from) and carried on until the early 80's under Chrysler ownership.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #16404 by Redbeard45
Replied by Redbeard45 on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
Greetings John H. Andy W has just pointed me in the direction of these photos. I didn't know of Pearse's but they are great shots. Was this Gill's at Huntly or Auckland. Bryan Gill (son of the founder) was still selling trucks recently but I heard he is not well so am not sure now. They were selling remanufactured TS3s in the early 1980s for $5000. I know someone who has one still wrapped in its plastic. These were motors that Rootes Group felt weren't up to scratch but after Chrysler took over and found them 'out the back' they had them put them out with derated F.I. pumps (125 bhp). Of course, people quickly reset the pumps back to 135 bhp and then they didn't last the distance with leaking liners, etc. In their little museum at their dealership at Papatoetoe in Auckland, Gills still have the plate that states that the motor they had was the last TS3 made, but it is pretty worthless without the motor!

The first photo shows 2 CA models (first of the larger cab - 1962-64) then a Mk IV CDY and a Mk III (1956/57 - first of the TS3 powered Commers) followed by a later Mk III interim (1957/58) which is probably petrol (no pre-cleaners at the back of the cab) then a later C series followed by a Mk IV petrol / diesel?
The second picture is possibly earlier as the two CAs are there but not the later C series. 4 Mk IIIs around the Commer van - I had two of these - this is a 62-64 1600cc model with the roughly made grille which was hastily introduced to overcome an overheating on the early models.
There are two interesting artic units in this photo. It looks like the one to the right is a petrol which would have been working hard. The Mk IV behind the orange van looks like a tractor / trailer unit.
I would love to use these photos on my Commer website at www.commer.org.nz
If you wanted to get in touch, you could contact me at howard.pettigrewATxtra.co.nz
Cheers and thanks
H
PS The narrow wheelbase on the PA and PB van was to allow for the sliding doors on the early models. They were a gutless but easy to work on van, probably the best of the bunch at the time until the Transit came along. They were a real Rootes parts bin special with a Humber Hawk rear diff and lots of bits from the car range in the front end. They were actually kept in production longer than intended as the GPO put in a huge order for more in England. Not too many left now as if you spat on them, they rusted. I had to glue the roof back on, on my first one with Bondy! Starting to fetch big prices in NZ
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16405 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
G'day H, good to have you on board. Lots of old truck dribble here and lots of knowledge too.

I've removed the @ from your email to stop the spammers finding it. Just a general rule I follow on here.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 5 months ago #16406 by VicHung
Pearses Transport was based in Huntly so I'm sure their trucks would have been purchased from Gills in Huntly

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #16407 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Some NZ Commers
back in the 70s my old man had a austin with a petrol motor it seemed to have the same cab as a commer .. also the old dodge D2Fs shared the same cab ?
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by kennymopar2.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16408 by VicHung
Hi Kenny

I think I can state definitely that there was never an Austin that used that Commer cab; the nearest that I can think of would be the Austin (or Morris or BMC) FFK as in this photo

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/3355901173_ec5fdc4e46.jpg?t=1257405711

However in Australia they fitted a Cummins V8 in that Commer cab and called it a Dodge, but it was a D2F, not a D3F. The D3F used the later Commer cab which was completely different

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds