Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223157 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Sometimes Sayings.

I dont like the Americanizing of Australia at all, America is fine, the UK is fine as is Europe and the rest of the world but I reckon Australia should always be Australia
Our own funny country that laughs at each other and we generally get along pretty well

But Halloween and calling everyone bud or buddy is not on, like fries and chips, beetroot in burgers and pineapple

And that Yanky spelling, tyres go rims not tires, we paint things a certain colour not color, we have Mums not Moms

You get my drift, this is not a rant

Now America and it's ridiculous way of writing dates

today is the 6th of July 2021 in the rest of the world or at least over the next 20 hours it will be, but not the good old U.S. of A it will be July 6 2021

Does my bloody head in, why America? why?

Well I always thought this just a American thing until recently and I was following my other passion, trains and discovered this photo

Well check out how the date is written

Did we once write the date like this in Australia ?
It never really crossed my mind until this thread went a little off track and I have just taken it a bit further

Sorry Brocky no offence meant in any of this or anyone else that I may have upset with this post

Paul
don't know if this helps but the Railway Commissioner was Harold W Clapp. I believe he was American hence the American look our Victorian Railways took. He seems to have been the last commissioner to put the railway's interests ahead of his political masters.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223158 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Sometimes Sayings.
We always hear sayings that can annoy and my pet one over the last few years has been "yeah. no" So which is It? You should be allowed to cuff these idiots up the lug hole when they say stuff like that!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223162 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Latin roots.

er = "one who" such as Trucker means one who trucks, Jumper means one who jumps, Driver one who drives.

ies is a collective noun. With words such as groupies, schoolies or foodies it has come to collectively describe members of a group.

Bottom line is either Truckies or Truckers could be correct in most circumstances.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aussie Truckin

More
2 years 9 months ago #223169 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Sometimes Sayings.
The one big thing which gives me the Tom Tits lately is people of all walks of life begin a sentence with "SO, I.......), no matter what they are talking about. Why would you begin a sentence with SO?

More
2 years 9 months ago #223171 by Lang
"Like, why wouldn't you?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
2 years 9 months ago #223174 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Sometimes Sayings.
May pet hate is when people (especially politicians), end a sentence with, “going forward”. Two totally unnecessary words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, oliver1950

More
2 years 9 months ago #223177 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Not cropping up lately is “At this point in time” instead of “Now”
David.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223180 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Thank you Lang for dragging that most annoying and over used word of late, "like".
Too often the younger genertion are not able to complete one sentence with out the use of that words. More cuffing to be done on that as well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 9 months ago #223181 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Sometimes Sayings.

I dont like the Americanizing of Australia at all, America is fine, the UK is fine as is Europe and the rest of the world but I reckon Australia should always be Australia
Our own funny country that laughs at each other and we generally get along pretty well

But Halloween and calling everyone bud or buddy is not on, like fries and chips, beetroot in burgers and pineapple

And that Yanky spelling, tyres go rims not tires, we paint things a certain colour not color, we have Mums not Moms

You get my drift, this is not a rant

Now America and it's ridiculous way of writing dates

today is the 6th of July 2021 in the rest of the world or at least over the next 20 hours it will be, but not the good old U.S. of A it will be July 6 2021

Does my bloody head in, why America? why?

Well I always thought this just a American thing until recently and I was following my other passion, trains and discovered this photo

Well check out how the date is written

Did we once write the date like this in Australia ?
It never really crossed my mind until this thread went a little off track and I have just taken it a bit further

Sorry Brocky no offence meant in any of this or anyone else that I may have upset with this post

Paul
don't know if this helps but the Railway Commissioner was Harold W Clapp. I believe he was American hence the American look our Victorian Railways took. He seems to have been the last commissioner to put the railway's interests ahead of his political masters.

I was talking to Mum today about this photo and she can never recall people in Australia writing the date like they do in the U.S.

We also went down the line of thought ab oout Harold Clapp maybe had something to do with it but Harold Clapp had been dead 4 years by this stage so I dont know

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 9 months ago #223182 by Lang
Paul

It is pretty confusing. I agree with you DMY has always been our method.

Here is what Mr Wiki says on the subject. The safest bet is to write the month then the year and day take care of themselves. Very common usage in the military is 12 Aug 75 then regardless of what system is used by recipients they will not make a mistake.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Time to create page: 0.655 seconds