Skip to main content

Model Truck Builders.................

14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #27473 by
Hey Pat, bloody good collection of EMPTY boxes you got there, eh.

Suppose I better show something then.

Here's a model I did many many moons ago, I tried to make it a copy of the horse and cart from Brumbles, I failed with the horse and cart on this first attempt, which is shown in the first photo. So took it along to Allisons, which used to be on Grindle Rd, Rocklea, to get the actual working drawings, so as to be able to make the cart correctly.
Greg Allison took one look at it and told me straight out, no plans for the tri axle, until I made him a 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 dolly.

So here's a pic of the failed red horse and cart, with the 4 x 4 and dolly.

Here's the 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 dolly, he paid me to do it, but the AR$HOLE sold it to the fella who had the full sized one, for about 20 times what he paid me, da plick.

He then handed over the drawings for the 3 x 4 which I used wisely, then I found the horse in Brisbane unloading at a site and used a tape measure on it to get the next one correct.

What say's you Cam?

OH, made a tag axle for it as well.

The load is a copy of one I took from Bris to Adelaide, boy was it lumpy, the word was, if the scalies are around, park it up and run like hell and hide in the scrub, boy was it heavy.

Took this and another model to Ballarat way back in 1987 and it did quite OK, along with another model as well.

Forgot to say that this model is made in 1/25th scale. I tried to make it as close to the original, adding whatever was necessary to do this, like convert bits, like steering and dash to right hand drive. Shorten the bonnet and chassis to Aust standards, change the alloy rims to spiders, scratchbuild lot's of bits, headache rack and chain tray, or make whatever, and all this was done pre computer or photo-etch days.
Today you can buy any amount of add on after-market bits that are correct and all the fun has been taken out of making a model now, you just buy the bits and shove it all together.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #27474 by melonreo
great stuff greenie. it is almost impossible to find the time now days ............and by the way..
the boxes are all still full of unbuilt models ;) ;)

More
14 years 1 week ago #27475 by Cunning Stunt
Far out Greenie, they are fantastic. Definately worth waiting to see. I know what you say about Tim A'horn, I'm no proffessional, just like looking at them done but yes, he is a bit one (red) eyed.

I had a couple of Uncles that worked for Brambles when I was a kid (I'm 40 now) and your Road Boss bought back lots of memories :)

Hey MelonReo, that photo of the Mack Cruiseliner also flooded back a few early days memories. My Mum and Dad bought me that kit when I turned 10 years old, acknowledging the fact that they had lost the battle to keep me away from trucks. I had an obsession with Mack trucks and they took me to Pizza Hut with my sisters for the birthday. I noticed a kid with Mack badges on his jacket and with a bit of humerous encouragement from my sisters I went and asked him where they got them. Low and behold he was there with his Dad who was Fred Bartley from Mack trucks, I'm sure a few of you knew him. Well I took him out to the car and proudly showed him my Mack model and a week or so later I was sent a pack through him of Mack truck bits and pieces, badges, posters, stickers and brochures. A great bloke.

Yes Pat, I wanna buy it ::)

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 1 week ago #27476 by NA
Some nice models there guy's, puts my attempts to shame :) ! Had - could still have somewhere a Kenworth Aerodyne and a Peterbilt along with a heap of Army stuff.

My problem with model building is my attention span :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

A ;)

14 years 1 week ago #27477 by

I built a few when i was young. When i got married
the missus gave them to the baby to play with.
In the bin long ago......

If that had happened in my house, then the kid would have hit the bin and the missus would have had to visit the dentist too. >:(

Sheesh, some of 'em have just got NO understanding of life's priorities AT ALL.

OK, got me flack jacket on, ready for whatever lobs. ;D

More
14 years 1 week ago #27478 by bigcam
Very nice Greenie, it looks the real deal. In about 1988 I subbied for Carpentaria Transport (QRX/NQX), and they did a bit of work for Brambles and SPD going around to Acacia Ridge rail, pick up flats and then back to Brambles yard and around the distribution centres. Brambles had a couple of Road Boss's with 3306's in them there, as well as MCR (I think) Macks with 237's in them working out of the yard. SPD had 3 Louisvilles, all shite hot and shiney, one 903, one with a 6V92 in it, and I can't remember what the other one had in it. Wish I'd taken a few pics now.

14 years 1 week ago #27479 by
Hi Cam, yep Long Distance had two Road Bosses and Heavy Haulage had three, the only difference was the 3 at Hendra had 15 sp RR and the 2 at A/Ridge had 13 sp RR fitted.
All were GRUB powered with Hendrickson rough riders at the arse end.
You couldn't call the 3306 a "Cat" motor, it was only half a Caterpillar, so it earnt the knickname of a GRUB, a baby caterpillar.
Now that MCR was a classic, the driver used to call it "Darth Varder", for very appropriate reasons, he had it from new and then when he retired, the truck got shifted somewhere else never to be seen again.

14 years 1 week ago #27480 by
Here's another one, it's from a 1/16th scale kit, a Kenworth W900 Conventianal kit by Monogram.

It started as a left hand drive and a bloody long wheelbase, with a tad of work it eventually looked something like an Aussie version .

OK, it's not correct by any means, there's lots of things I didn't know about with KW's from Aust, when I built this thing back in about '86-87. It was a good learning curve on what you can and can't do with a plastic model kit.

Had to Aussify it and there were lots of changes/cutting and shutting and scratchbuilding as well.

Problems/mistakes I made with this model were :- left the bonnet too long as a yankee one, instead of shortening it to Aussie specs, left the Cat 3408 motor in it, not too many of these were ever fitted to KW's in Aust, fuel tanks were still the kit ones not what's fitted here, the steps are from the kit and the steps used here are different.

It was still a steep learning curve making this particular model and there's lots of things I had to make for it.

Changed the rear end suspension from air bags to KW BIG 6, fitted an operating ballrace T/Table, fully converted to Right Hand drive and tried added all fuel and air hoses where they could be seen. Had to make the 6 spoke spiders as the kit had alloy rims. Plus lots of other bits and pieces, far to numerous to mention individually.

Trailer is fully scratched, flexiflat and load is scratched again, the container pins worked as per whats fitted to any trailer, you could even push them up and turn them 90 degrees, so they went down into the rails, do the oppisite and they were raised, in the raised position you could add the container and turn the locking handle, so it locked the container in position.

For those that have been down in a pit looking up, here's one for you.

Sorry, it aint got any grease on it.

Hope you enjoyed viewing it.

Oh, the yap-yap even worked too.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 1 week ago #27481 by Swishy

Nice pix guys
Keep m cummin

U do good work
hope U stihl have the patience n not tooo many thumbs to do these models
(Aint seen no Gr8 KW S925 models as yet LOL)

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 1 week ago #27482 by geoffa

Built about 1974. I realise this does not compare with the amazing models some of you have built but I thought my sign writing was ok.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds